Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Screw...Now or Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Screw...Now or Wait?

I'm planning on buying a new 5.0 Screw XLT in the next few weeks, but in the meantime, I'm trying to sell my old truck on my own. My dealer has one in stock that meets my needs, but I told him I'd wait to see what I can get for my current one. I was planning on just trading my old one if I can't sell it. Dealer called me today and said Ford's current rebates are now going to expire July 1st (was previously going to be July 8th). I hate to get pushed into doing the trade, as I think I can do better selling it on my own, but I don't want to miss out on the rebates either. I would guess the rebates will stay similar or get better as the model year goes on, but the dealer made it sound like inventory is short (not sure if I buy that...), so rebates might get smaller.

It's crazy...current rebates for me would be $8750...over 25% off sticker price when all is said and done (before TTL). Am I greedy to think the rebates might get better?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Depending on how the sales tax laws work in your state, selling outright isn't always the best choice. I sold my 06 F150 outright and had to pay sales tax on $34.5K when I bought my '11. If I would have traded my 06 I would have only had to pay sales tax on $14k on my '11.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the rebates, but can you swing buying the new truck without trading in your old one? If you can swing it, and you're sure you can eventually sell your current truck for more than you'd get in a trade in deal, you might be better off to deal on a straight up buy.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep, sales tax makes up for trade versus private party sale on my acura as well, they gave me a reasonable offer at the dealer I found the best sale at.

As far as the rebates they told me the same thing, don't care, my car runs fine so they don't have leverage on me as far as timing. I can't see Ford not coming out with new rebates, extending or at a minimum having something to compete with GM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Yeah, I can swing the new purchase without selling first. I'm aware I can save the sales tax on the trade in value, but I'm pretty confident I can get more selling it on my own to more than make up the sales tax difference. I'm hoping someone has insight on Ford's rebate history...do they typically get better as the model year wears on? Do they ever get worse?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

When I got my escape I sold my Honda private party. I will never do that again. I traded the escape for the f150 this time. A lot less stress that way.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bradseve
Yeah, I can swing the new purchase without selling first. I'm aware I can save the sales tax on the trade in value, but I'm pretty confident I can get more selling it on my own to more than make up the sales tax difference. I'm hoping someone has insight on Ford's rebate history...do they typically get better as the model year wears on? Do they ever get worse?

More likely to be pegged to the economy than the season. Its an inverse relationship between volume and incentives.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bradseve
I'm in the same boat. Only I'm holding out for mid July, so I can put a lump of cash in with my trade.
It'd be nice to have 0% financing on the remaining balance.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 PM

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Way to much hassle trying to sell your old truck yourself! Just think of the time you have to waste and all the stupid offers you will get. Trade it in!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 PM

I'm not too worried about the hassle of selling myself. I've done it in the past without troubles. I've already had it listed for about a week. A few junk scammer e-mails from the Craigslist, but they're not too hard to weed through (one said "hey, i'm good with your price, but i can't come to look at it. Just give me your Paypal account name and number and ship me the truck"...not too hard to deal with).

Quick Reply: New Screw...Now or Wait?