Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F150: I really have to turn lights off manually??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New F150: I really have to turn lights off manually??

Am I missing a setting where I can have the parking lights shut off when I remove the key? I think even my 1998 S-10 would shut the lights off by itself.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Not sure if this is the same across trim levels, but mine has auto lights. Turn the headlight **** all the way to the right (I think it is all the way to the right) and it should use the dash light sensor to turn on headlights as needed at night and off automatically when turned off.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by packplantpath
Not sure if this is the same across trim levels, but mine has auto lights. Turn the headlight **** all the way to the right (I think it is all the way to the right) and it should use the dash light sensor to turn on headlights as needed at night and off automatically when turned off.
I have a 2012 FX4. I will have to check later and see if mine has that option, but as you describe it, I still wouldn't be able to have only the parking lights (not headlights) come on when I start the truck and shut off when I remove the key. Correct?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 AM

Hmm, not sure. I know on mine if the fog lights are turned on they stay on all the time when it is on auto.

I think a dealer can also do a system flash if you want daytime running lights, but I have not tried it. Only heard rumors.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 251 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TJhands
I have a 2012 FX4. I will have to check later and see if mine has that option, but as you describe it, I still wouldn't be able to have only the parking lights (not headlights) come on when I start the truck and shut off when I remove the key. Correct?
Your parking lights already turn on and off with the truck if I'm not mistaken. They're on all the time.

Last edited by eye.surgeon; 03-07-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eye.surgeon

Your DRLs (daytime running lights, mandated by law) are already on when you start the car and stop. For many vehicles, those are the so-called parking lights. So I don't think you need to worry about turning those on and off.
DRL aren't mandated in the US, I can't see where the OP is from though
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by eye.surgeon
Your parking lights already turn on and off with the truck if I'm not mistaken. They're on all the time.
You're mistaken, unless *I* am. ;-)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 AM

My light control **** has 5 positions. Starting with the indicator pointing straight up and going clockwise, they are: Off, Parking lights, headlamps, automatic on/off of headlamps. The last option is pulling the **** out, which turns on the foglamps.

Still, from what I can tell, there's no way to only have the parking lights on and have them turn off automatically when I remove the key. The risk for draining the battery by leaving them on overnight is a real one.

Me no likey.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Why do you want parking lights on all the time? I've never seen a vehicle with an auto parking light system that I can think of. Heck, they are generally so dim they don't show up in the daytime anyway IMO.

Though I'm pretty sure there is a built in battery protection system that shuts down all lights after 10 minutes or so if left on. Still not good for the battery though.

Check what happens to the parking lights with it on auto. I know the fog lights stay on when on auto (for some reason...) Maybe the parking lights do too?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by packplantpath
Why do you want parking lights on all the time? I've never seen a vehicle with an auto parking light system that I can think of. Heck, they are generally so dim they don't show up in the daytime anyway IMO.

Though I'm pretty sure there is a built in battery protection system that shuts down all lights after 10 minutes or so if left on. Still not good for the battery though.

Check what happens to the parking lights with it on auto. I know the fog lights stay on when on auto (for some reason...) Maybe the parking lights do too?
Heck, I just like the parking lights on, that's all. My last two vehicles (2008 Tacoma and 4-Runner) had it where I could turn the vehicle on and they'd come on and they'd turn off when I removed the key.

And no, there's DEFINITELY no battery protection system. How do I know? Because I had to jump my F150 this morning with my John Deere, after leaving the parking lights on all night.

I will check and see if the parking lights stay on after the headlamps shut off when it's in Auto mode. That's a possibility. Thank you.

Quick Reply: New F150: I really have to turn lights off manually??