Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery, degraded FM reception?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New battery, degraded FM reception?

I just replaced my 2010 Platinum's factory 650 CCA battery with a Motorcraft 850 CCA battery from my local Ford Dealer. No other mods were made during this replacement. I disconnected the old battery, removed it, placed new battery in position and connected it. (no temporary power was supplied during this process). I will say I had to replace one of the cable bolts that had broken with a bolt from a hardware store. Not sure that matters at all.

Now my FM reception is not as good as it was before. The antenna was screwed in very snug, but I removed and reinstalled it anyway, and as expected, FM reception went to nearly 0 with it out, and then back to about 75% with it in. Any ideas as to why there is only 75% reception with the new battery? I did not do any cleaning of the cables, but they were in decent shape (slight hint of corrosion, nothing scary). Terminal cables are on very tight, if that even has anything to do with it.

Any ideas on how to get my quality FM reception back? Resetting anything that might help?

**Unrelated to this I have a short on fuse #25 that I haven't found. Most likely unrelated, and reception has been fine with that up until battery replacement.

**Somewhat unrelated to this, I had a trailer hitch "Ford" light plugged in for about 2 years without issue. Last week the parking lights (and that hitch light) started coming on by themselves. Drained battery to dead one night, so I removed that hitch light, and decided it was a good time to get a new battery anyway.

THANKS for any suggestions!

Peter
Old 02-21-2017, 08:45 AM
Fordified

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

**subscribed**
Old 03-02-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after a couple of days the problem seems to have mysteriously gone away. I can't say why, but reception is as good as new. The only thing I "did" was to "Auto Program" presets as suggested by another guy in a different thread. I have no idea if that worked or how, but my FM reception works again. Case closed for this thread.