Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2013 FX4 - question regarding what I think is EPAS noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New 2013 FX4 - question regarding what I think is EPAS noise

Hi All-

Finally pulled the trigger on a new truck. Everything has gone well so far and have just over 1k on the odometer at this point. I've spent a lot of time on this forum researching before buying and haven't seen this before so thought I'd ask about it. In two separate instances while at low speed in reverse I am hearing a noise that sounds very similar to the ABS pump when turning the wheel at a high angle. When the steering wheel is neutral I've not heard any noise. I was able to recreate the noise on demand, and I have to say I only tried to do so with the wheel cranked to the right. I do not feel any vibration through the steering wheel, and the sound is not as intense as when the ABS pump is functioning as it is say when using hill descent control. Both times I was backing up into a field, conditions were slippery and I was not in 4WD. It almost seems like this noise only occurs when the rear wheels do a little slipping. Could this be some sort of attempt by the traction control system to make something happen with ABS? Could this be the EPAS unit functioning as normal and I'm just not used to the noise? The main reason I didn't believe it was the ABS pump is just that it is not as loud as when ABS usually functions. Perhaps ABS pumps have a variable rate that I don't know about. I do not think this is an issue - I'm more curious than anything what it might be and am assuming this is just a characteristic of the new truck. Any thoughts?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It is indeed the traction control. And it won't stop until you let off the throttle at low speed like that. Do you have a raptor or are you referring to hill descent from another vehicle?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Originally Posted by borjeb
It is indeed the traction control. And it won't stop until you let off the throttle at low speed like that. Do you have a raptor or are you referring to hill descent from another vehicle?
2013 FX4's and F-150 offroad packages have HDC now.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the response borjeb. Should be interesting to get it back in the mud and see what all situations I can get the traction control to kick in. I'll also have to experiment with it turned off. If anyone has any other thoughts let me know. Thanks

Quick Reply: New 2013 FX4 - question regarding what I think is EPAS noise