Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with OEM FX4 flares!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Terrorist Fighter

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Need help with OEM FX4 flares!

I'm apologizing in advance for the redundancy, and I did search other threads before starting a new one, but...

I have a 2012 XLT SCREW. I just bought a set of FX4 flares. The seller thought I would have no trouble just using 3M tape on the lip to adhere them to the outer fender and then just drill a few holes to mount under the lip. I got the flares and see the push pins that run along the arch of the flare that would go into holes along the outer fender. Is there an alternate way to install these flares with out drilling into the outer fender? Be kind. I know some of you hate repeat threads, but I'm not getting the answers I'm looking for. Anyone have similar issues or concerns that can share their install tips and pics?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I thought the factory flares were all plastic push in fasteners...? Ill have to look at mine after work to be sure, but I know the bottom is definitely push in fasteners. I had to trim around it when I trimmed for clearance after the lift.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Terrorist Fighter

Originally Posted by Hobzit
I thought the factory flares were all plastic push in fasteners...? Ill have to look at mine after work to be sure, but I know the bottom is definitely push in fasteners. I had to trim around it when I trimmed for clearance after the lift.
From the factory, they are. My truck never had them, so holes need to be made where none were before. If its to be done right.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 3,935 Likes on 2,510 Posts

I installed OEM flares on my 06 XLT. I just drilled small holes in the fender lips and used black screws with oversized heads. They hold more securely than push pins. You could put tape on the areas where the push pins go in the outer fenders. I didn't need any but the FX4 flares are a bit flimsier than the painted flares so you may need tape there?

The following users liked this post:
SgtAxe (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 04:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^ What Nassty said. Put some on my 2010 STX that same way.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Hmmm well if you don't mind possibly wasting money to try this out...

Rubbing alcohol
A rag
3M double sides adhesive tape
Scissors or razor blade
A bit of prep work... Cleaning, trimming and positioning and then step back and take a look, I've screamed at 180+ with a GoPro on my helmet with 3M and it held fine, I'd imagine it would hold fenders just fine. Just make sure to actually strip down the dirt and wax before placing the 3M and fender. Just make sure you get the 3M seated good. Warm weather application is recommended, or use a hair dryer or heat gun (does not need much heat at all)

But that's advice towards you not wanting to drill holes, however if you end up not caring about the holes then I definitely agree that it would look fine with well placed holes and would be really secure.

Last edited by Hobzit; 03-21-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Terrorist Fighter

I had the body shop at Ford drill the holes to mount the flares. After all that work and money, the flares I bought were not sitting flush. The body shop manager said that from being removed, they warped just enough to beca problem. They even tried a heat gun to warm them up, but they are unusable. Holes are already drilled, so what's a guy to do but cough it up to a lesson learned and order brand new flares from Ford. More money than I wanted to spend, but it'll be done right and more importantly, it'll look right. Got rid of the chrome grill too and will be dipping the chrome bumpers as soon as it warms up a bit. A silver and flat bleach accented look is what I'm going for. Hated the chrome after two months.

Need help with OEM FX4 flares!-image-253561769.jpg
Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Terrorist Fighter

Originally Posted by art.axelson
I had the body shop at Ford drill the holes to mount the flares. After all that work and money, the flares I bought were not sitting flush. The body shop manager said that from being removed, they warped just enough to beca problem. They even tried a heat gun to warm them up, but they are unusable. Holes are already drilled, so what's a guy to do but cough it up to a lesson learned and order brand new flares from Ford. More money than I wanted to spend, but it'll be done right and more importantly, it'll look right. Got rid of the chrome grill too and will be dipping the chrome bumpers as soon as it warms up a bit. A silver and flat bleach accented look is what I'm going for. Hated the chrome after two months.
A silver and flat black look..,stupid auto correct.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by art.axelson

Attachment 205278
How bad were they? I've pulled off two sets of textured flares and installed two sets of used OEM painted flares and none of them have been warped. To be honest it sounds like the dealership didn't do too good of a job getting the holes drilled. If they used the OEM fasteners and they were off just a little bit while drilling I could see it putting stress on the flares therefore not being flush.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Terrorist Fighter

Originally Posted by FX44AU

How bad were they? I've pulled off two sets of textured flares and installed two sets of used OEM painted flares and none of them have been warped. To be honest it sounds like the dealership didn't do too good of a job getting the holes drilled. If they used the OEM fasteners and they were off just a little bit while drilling I could see it putting stress on the flares therefore not being flush.
To be honest, from the naked eye, they don't look bad. And it's not like they were bowing out, just not as snug as they should be. Their body shop has an impeccable reputation, so I'm confident the holes were drill properly. I'm sure out of 500 fender flare swaps, 499 will probably go right. I just happen to be the rare case. Oh well, stuff happens.

Quick Reply: Need help with OEM FX4 flares!