Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice - Taking truck to Ford for 3rd Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice - Taking truck to Ford for 3rd Time

I need some advice. I have a 2011 F-150 that is just bought under for Certified Pre-Owned. I can not get my local Ford dealer to help me with the truck. Mostly because they have no clue what is wrong with it. Here is what is going on.

The truck is a 5.0L F150 King Ranch. It is installed with Option Package 518A which is the King Ranch package. 4x4, with touch screen nav, and remote start, and MyKey. I know these options are what are installed because the first time the truck was at Ford when I owned it they pulled the factory build sheet. All these options were installed at the factory.

Here is the problem: I can not access the MyKey settings. I can not change the characteristics of basic electronic items, like the time delay for the head lamps. I can not change the remote start options. MyKey does not show up ANYWHERE in the menu. Nor does it say that MyKey is enabled when I start the truck. (I mention this because I found a post where someone suggested that missing setting could be due to MyKey)

The second time the truck was in they reprogrammed all the keys in order to see if perhaps the Admin key was lost. No change. I have no access to any of the menu items that should be there.

The final straw came this week when I realized that I can not turn off the AdvanceTrac. It will not turn off. No lights, not messages in the message center. NOTHING. I have tried every combination in the book to get it to disable. I even went to see a friend with a 2012 King Ranch to make sure that I was doing it correctly. I was. My truck just will not disable.

Is there a common control module that all these things are tied to that could need help? Please help me figure out what to tell my dealer.. or if any Ford Techs are here if you have seen it if you could help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

Did you try the other key?

You definitely are using a mykey and not an admin key.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:19 PM

Received 251 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by lewis26
Did you try the other key?

You definitely are using a mykey and not an admin key.
This.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They supposedly reprogrammed all the keys. (They also charged me 140 dollars, because it was not "warranty work") and none of the keys give me any options.

Is there a way to determine if I am using a MyKey? (I agree, this seems like it is the answer) But the dealership swears that they have reprogrammed all the keys as Admin keys.

Suggestions? Also.. thanks so much for the replies.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

Bring it back to the dealer who programmed it, tell them they didn't do the work correctly and make them fix it for free since you already paid.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 AM
IT nerd geek DORK NERD

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by lewis26
Bring it back to the dealer who programmed it, tell them they didn't do the work correctly and make them fix it for free since you already paid.
This. Without wanting to sound like a jerk, the owner's manual is pretty clear on what can and cannot be done with the admin key, and with a regular old MyKey.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mbtskysurfer
They supposedly reprogrammed all the keys. (They also charged me 140 dollars, because it was not "warranty work") and none of the keys give me any options.

Is there a way to determine if I am using a MyKey? (I agree, this seems like it is the answer) But the dealership swears that they have reprogrammed all the keys as Admin keys.

Suggestions? Also.. thanks so much for the replies.
Take it back to the Dealer. They didn't reprogram it right. If they had you would not see a mykey when you start the truck and you will see all options. The reason I'm saying this is because i just went through a similar situation when I recently bought my 2011 limited. I only got one key and it was not the admin key. One key has to be setup in the program as admin key. you can make a mykey with the other key and limit speed and radio volume ect. for another driver. You will need the admin key for changes. I had to pay to have another key made and when they reprogramed it wipes the mykey's out.

I don't know how some of these Dealer's stay in Business!!!!!!

Last edited by 11lim; 03-24-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: To add
Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW, if you had both the original keys, Reprogramming should have been no more than 50 dollars. My Dealer charged me 42.99 for the Programming part.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by mbtskysurfer
I need some advice. I have a 2011 F-150 that is just bought under for Certified Pre-Owned. I can not get my local Ford dealer to help me with the truck...
Send me your info in a PM, mbtskysurfer; I want to look into ways to help. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'm on the case!

Crystal
The following 2 users liked this post by FordService:
FX4Ron (03-25-2014), SteveLord (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 12:53 PM
FredK

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best advice is to follow Crystal advice. It worked for me.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (03-24-2014)

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Taking truck to Ford for 3rd Time