Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must haves for offroading

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Must haves for offroading

I posted in the offroading section as well.

Truck: 2011 F150 FX4 Supercrew with 6.5' bed. I know it's not the ideal truck for offroading with limo sized wheelbase, but I have to work with what I have.

Only mod I have is RAS which I have set at 1 inch of lift so I would like to level the front with a two inch kit, buy wheels and tires, beef up skid plates, etc.

Please chime in with the must haves and essentials to get me there. Post recommendations, specs and pics of your set ups. I don't have unlimited funds but will probably spend 4-5K to get her prepped.

I'm going with 18 XD Monsters or Misfits with TrailGrapps. What size tire would you recommend?

Many Thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

winch and a good set off tow straps, and some fender flares to protect your new trucks paint. Any "ideal' set up will vary depending on what you consider "off-roading", but i think these 3 are probably applicable to any situation. good luck on your build!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:38 PM
In Dale we trust.

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

35 inch tires for sure, 4 inch lift looks perfect on this truck.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

I will spare you the lecture of how an FX4 is NOT the ideal off-road rig since you already know.

Ok, so many things I don't know where to start besides the obvious new tires that are actually off road worthy than stockers.

1. The most important thing is to protect you and your rig so it can get you safely through the trail. Make sure you and your riders have adequate protection in case of a roll over. Be sure that your truck's under side is protected with proper skid plates and rock sliders/guards. You might want to get underneath and make sure all dangling wires, lines, or hoses are zipped tied(or better) so they don't get snagged. Anything that looks like it will get snagged on a rock, log, or caked in mud usually will. You might as well just take off that front air damn since it will get ripped off on the first major obstacle anyways. Better bumpers would be good too. I am not a huge fan of fender flares unless you are actually going to cut your fenders to accommodate for wider tires.

2. The one major thing that the F-150 lacks for off road is suspension. The IFS(independent front suspension) in these trucks have almost no travel at all. One option is a Camburg suspension here( http://camburg.com/store/09-11-f-150...ormance-kit-2/ ). It will give you a lot more travel than stock while also lifting your front by about 3". A couple of guys in this thread have all put them on their trucks so you can ask more questions there. The kit also comes with rear shocks from what I gather so that will fix the back. Save your money and don't go with a lift as the level you get with the Camburg kit will be plenty unless your idea of off road is mud boggin, which in that case being taller is a plus. In most all other off roading, being taller to a point has way more disadvantages than advantages.

3. Like the other guys stated, a proper winch would help out a lot. If you cannot get a winch then carry tow ropes. I carried tow ropes in my jeep even though it has a winch. Another thing some forget is a trail jack and shovel. You may not need them all the time but you will be glad you have them when the time comes. Other things to like spare battery, belt, and GPS are good to have too. Here (http://www.offroaders.com/tech/25-Tips.htm) is a good article to read on stuff to do and bring.

4. On the tires, do not to follow the off road posers and buy tires that are too wide unless you plan on cutting your fenders to enlarge them for wider tires. Make sure that whatever you get will stick into your rear fender well when your rear axle is articulated like this and not into your actual fender.
Must haves for offroading-forumspic3.jpg
Also, on the tires, just because the brand is popular with street queen off road posers(like some Nitto's) does not mean they are a good off road tire. Do your research and select the tire best for your truck and type of terrain you will be mostly in. You will need to air your tires down every now and then to gain traction in the rocks, sand, mud etc... I usually never went below 25 psi but had to go as low as 20 psi on certain occasions. You might want to keep a small air compressor or an air tank that will carry enough to air your tires back up when you head home. Also, if you have 20" rims, then you might want to consider getting rid of them and going with 18" or 17". Most of the off road posers have 20's because they look cool, but they suck off road. The more tire on your side wall, the better the traction when aired down and more impact absorption.

5. You already have a locker in the rear but you might want to invest in Torsen LSD for the front diff like the Raptor depending on what you plan on going through. If you don't need it for your terrain than I would invest in other more important things. Also, your axles aren't Dana 60s(even though Ford axles are usually tough) so be prepared for things to break at some point.

Their are other things, but you will figure them out with experience along the trails. Above all, ALWAYS follow the following rules....

Always get out of the truck to scout ahead if you are unsure of the path, always use a spotter if you cannot see the proper line, and always have another vehicle on the trail with you that is capable of pulling you out from being stuck or take you back to camp if broke down.

Other then that, happy trails.

BTW, I do not hit the trails in my truck. The pic above was on a washed out road I was on setting hog traps at the farm and I couldn't resist taking the pic.

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 12-29-2012 at 12:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nibrwr (08-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 AM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Well, first- your long wheelbase is only a disadvantage if you drive it like one. They are still pretty capable rigs- you just have to pick your lines. In some cases, the longer wheelbase is nice to have- doesn't toss around.

On to the must haves.

1. Surprisingly- nobody listed a radio. If your out in the bush and get in a real pickle, chances are pretty good that somebody within range will be reachable- and it's a good tool to keep contact with your trail partners.

2. Upgrade your skid plates if you'll be in or around rocks or deadfall. The OEM plates are like tinfoil. There is a user on here (RCI Metalworks?) that makes awesome replacements for non lifted trucks. Cover your gas tank!

3. Fords definition of an "offroad" package as it pertains to the FX series is taller than average speed bumps. This isn't a sleight against the trim- but realistically as offroading goes, any F150 except for the Raptor is out of its element on a lease or fishing trail. Just make sure you drive with that in mind.

4. Your suspension travel sucks. Long travel kits are a good investment- but they are far from zero maintenance. Gotta look after your investment. Plus, and this info is straight from Readylift and Camburg- the environment where I live (miserable cold, snow, road salt) is not ideal for the uniball kits. Don't know where you live. A shock upgrade at the very least would be high on my list. New complete coilover assembly- even better.

5. For tires and rims- my preference is smaller rims with more rubber. Simple patterns (IE- no bling) are easier to clean gunk out of. 17's with a bead lock for airing down to the low teens or below 10. Need an air compressor to fill them back up to. 35" rubber is the highest I would go. You may be happier with 33's. the extra clearance of the 35's is rapidly negated when they are too big to torque effectively, but larger tires can more easily pass over some obstacles. Size accordingly.

5. Lift can be your worst enemy. Keeping your truck with a usable center of gravity while giving yourself enough clearance is a fine line. Usually this is where the long travel kits play an important role. The great big lifts are all but useless when it comes to anything serious. All they do is relocate your components. They don't necessarily make them more capable other than give you a little more clearance. Personally, I run with a spacer to give me the clearance for the tires I wanted at full impact- and that's it. Sacrificed my down travel- but I drive accordingly. For the naysayers- this sacrificed down travel is designed right into the jeeps with the adjustable trail ready suspension when its adjusted to the 2.3" full height- so it isn't the end of the world

6. Usual stuff after that. Shovel, tools. Fill out your will before you leave

Have fun! The F150 is pretty capable if you drive it for what it is- a big heavy lady that needs a lot of room to swing that big a** of hers. But she'll get the job done.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Flatlander

Guess I didn't much answer your question.

I run BFG AT KO. Good all around tire- but the biggest thing for me is the thicker sidewall and they handle airing down better than some- although I don't do it too often. When these wear out, I'll be going to a smaller rim (17) with more rubber. They take a real beating. Front skid plate from RCI (I already took out my oil pan once) and a 2.5" spacer. Added a leaf to the rear to avoid bull ******* when I load it. I am upgrading all 4 shocks when the dealership finally wises up and stops replacing the OEMs on warranty. I have a LS, which is fine for the offroad trails I'm on. I haven't been in a situation where a locker would benefit me (wheel off the ground) so I have no intention of upgrading that.

FWIW I beat the crap out of my truck. It sees a lot of trail time hunting and fishing. The best spots are where nobody else wants to go. Fold those mirrors in unless you need them! They're gonna get whacked!
The following users liked this post:
Grandpa's Grocery Getter (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

One of these:

Old 12-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Flatlander

Originally Posted by Vancouverite
One of these:
^^ or that
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 AM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

Or this! Even though it is a Ram, it is still badass. This is how the FX4 package should be.

Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Must haves for offroading-131_1002_01_o-2010_4x4_of_the_year-2010_ram_2500_power_wagon.jpg
This truck comes with all these goodies right off the showroom floor.
Straight axle front & rear
E-lockers front & rear
Center diff lock
Electronically disconnecting sway bar
Bilstein shocks
4.56 gears
Electric winch
Tires that are actually capable off road (BFG A/T KOs)
Skid plates that are more than a hair thick like the F-150s
All while still being able to tow over 9k lbs

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 12-29-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree... Buy a Jeep for offroading. They go EVERYWHERE even when they are stock without any upgrades.

Quick Reply: Must haves for offroading