Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving up north. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Moving up north. Any advice?

My wife and I will soon be moving up to New York ( great lakes area) from south Mississippi. What should I be doing to my truck to prepare it for the northern winters and lake effect snow? I have a 2012 Supercrew XLT 4x4 Off road with 148k miles. Any help is appreciated!
Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Truck should be fine. nice things to have ........ seat heaters, tires with a good pattern for snow, maybe a block heater.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:51 AM

Well first things first you have to understand and except that rust is going happen plain and simple. I live in the rust belt of New York so i have plenty of experience. I would recommend getting decent all terrain tires if you dont already have them. mud tires are "ok" at best in the snow and regular all seasons are junk in the snow o if you want get 4 winter tires on steel rims so you can just swap them out in the spring and fall. If you can swing the cash get the truck professionally undercoated like the stuff that they use in the bed liners not just the tacky spray Rust proofing places offer. its the most effective way to keep the rust away the longest. other than rust there is nothing to really worry about up here. I would also recommend weather tech floor mats cause all that snow melting on the floor of the truck will ruin the floor boards over time with the salt. Also for convenience having a tonneau cover helps when you need to use the bed so there is no snow in the bed. nothing is more of a PITA than trying to shovel the snow out of the bed. All in all its a truck its 4wd as long as you can adjust to driving in the snow you will be fine. everything is just a suggestion you can do nothing stated above and the truck will still be fine it just might rust a little. and as for the tires, after your first winter you will know if the ones you have are good enough lol.
The following users liked this post:
jkcraft (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

Rust, Rust, Rust
Old 08-16-2018, 09:59 AM
2013 FX4 SuperCrew

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Rust proofing with yearly doses of Fluid Film or equivalent.

Learn how to drive in the snow so you don't hold every one up waiting for you to get out of the way. You should be able to drive on snow covered roads just as easily as if they were dry. Best advice is to seek out a large snow covered parking lot, like a mall or school, and do whippde-dos for hours on end until you know how your truck can handle loss of traction covered roads.
jkcraft (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Huttar13
Well first things first you have to understand and except that rust is going happen plain and simple. I live in the rust belt of New York so i have plenty of experience. I would recommend getting decent all terrain tires if you dont already have them. mud tires are "ok" at best in the snow and regular all seasons are junk in the snow o if you want get 4 winter tires on steel rims so you can just swap them out in the spring and fall. If you can swing the cash get the truck professionally undercoated like the stuff that they use in the bed liners not just the tacky spray Rust proofing places offer. its the most effective way to keep the rust away the longest. other than rust there is nothing to really worry about up here. I would also recommend weather tech floor mats cause all that snow melting on the floor of the truck will ruin the floor boards over time with the salt. Also for convenience having a tonneau cover helps when you need to use the bed so there is no snow in the bed. nothing is more of a PITA than trying to shovel the snow out of the bed. All in all its a truck its 4wd as long as you can adjust to driving in the snow you will be fine. everything is just a suggestion you can do nothing stated above and the truck will still be fine it just might rust a little. and as for the tires, after your first winter you will know if the ones you have are good enough lol.
Thanks for the advice! I've got 33" BFG AT's on the truck right now, and they have lots of tread left. i also have husky liners in the floor. i don't have a tonneau cover, but have been looking into them. Do roll up ones with the three braces work okay there, or do I need a solid one to handle the weight of the snow? Also, do you know what the going rate is to get the undercoat done?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Keith460
Rust proofing with yearly doses of Fluid Film or equivalent.

Learn how to drive in the snow so you don't hold every one up waiting for you to get out of the way. You should be able to drive on snow covered roads just as easily as if they were dry. Best advice is to seek out a large snow covered parking lot, like a mall or school, and do whippde-dos for hours on end until you know how your truck can handle loss of traction covered roads.
this is definitely something that my wife and I both plan on doing. I would hate to be that guy that can't drive at all in the snow.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Huttar13
Well first things first you have to understand and except that rust is going happen plain and simple. I live in the rust belt of New York so i have plenty of experience. I would recommend getting decent all terrain tires if you dont already have them. mud tires are "ok" at best in the snow and regular all seasons are junk in the snow o if you want get 4 winter tires on steel rims so you can just swap them out in the spring and fall.
Don't you have those 2 reversed?

OP, do the driving practice every year. You get out of practice over the summer. A lot of the cheap rollup tonneaus do not completely prevent snow/rain from getting in the corners, just so you know. And if you're going with a 2nd set of wheels, you may as well get some nicer ones, you can usually find takeoff alloy rims for about the same price as crap steel rims. At least, the less popular alloy models like the basic aluminum/grey XLT/FX rims.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

It’s funny actually - people who have lived in this area all their lives seem to forget how to drive in the snow every year. First snowfall there are so many in the ditch.

I am a firm believer in dedicated winter tires. Even more so for someone like the OP who has never driven in snow. And I agree 100% with once you are here for the first snow - get out in that big open parking lot and practice. Get going about 20-30mph and hit the brakes while yanking the steering wheel. We did that as kids (way before anti-lock brakes and all that) just for fun but now know how important a learning experience it was.

And rust. I just had to get rid of my most favorite truck which was an ‘09 FX4 w/lux package. I was heartbroken this spring to find the lower left cab corner and door corner starting to rust. Plus the frame and everything else underneath was totally rust covered from 3 years old on. So if you plan on keeping your present truck for any length of time I would urge you to get it undercoated even before you leave down south.

Another nice thing to have up here is remote start if you don’t have it already. It’s cold in the mornings - nothing worse than jumping into a stone cold truck. You will be even more susceptible to this until you get used to the cold.

If you are moving anywhere near northwestern NY you are going to be dealing with heavy lake snow. It can literally snow at 6” per hour in the right place at the right time. I can’t stress the dedicated winter tires enough. 4WD can get moving just fine without but you also need to stop and turn.

And taking about lake snow - winter wipers are very important also. I use Bosch Icons which are just awesome.
jkcraft (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

2x 60lb sand tubes above the rear axle will do wonder for your traction in the winter. Available at any hardware store.
A good set of tires, your ATs will do just fine.

For emergencies, leave 2 heavy blankets in the truck (more if you have kids, I prefer self stowable camping blankets), along with some mechanics gloves (to keep your hands warm while changing a tire) , a tow rope (to pull friends and coworkers out of ditches), a couple of bottles of water (yes, they will freeze, so get some heavy duty plastic bottles like Evian) and some non-perishable snacks (for when you are stuck in a heavy snow storm, my record is 36 hours)

As for rust, nothing will stem it, don't waste your money on undercoating or oil spray. just wash the truck once a week.
jkcraft (08-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Moving up north. Any advice?