Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend truck of the year

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Cool Motor Trend truck of the year

Well I am sure the Chebby/GMC folks feel robbed
Normally who ever has the new body style wins...

I would still have my Platinum over any of these

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...k_of_the_year/
Old 12-07-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

I would bet they never owned a Dodge!! Junky transmissions and drive trains. Ford can not win all the time. If they did there would be no market for competition.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

I figured the Ram would win. Diesel is quite the buzz word these days. I don't think I'd buy one but I do want to test drive one just to see if its as good as they say.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a 1500 for a few years and it was a great work truck but as with all dodges the transmission went. Since then ive been wary but Dodge was bought by fiat and things seem to be changing. I went and test drove a 13 1500 V6 a while back and had to say it rode the best of any of the trucks at that time BUT it still just isnt as solid feeling as a Ford or Yoda...

I think they are headed in the right direction. Just need a few years (5-10) to re-prove that they are going to last.

Also, for 4-6k less you get the same amount of truck as the competition.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I was sure GM was going to get it with their new truck...lots of new features and much better interior (even though I don't like it myself).

I like the Ram. The interior of their top model is pretty awesome! But the seating area felt much more narrow that our trucks. And the coil rear suspension meant lousy payload numbers. Does anyone know how the air suspension does with payload?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:52 AM
It is what it is...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Red13
I would bet they never owned a Dodge!! Junky transmissions and drive trains. Ford can not win all the time. If they did there would be no market for competition.
The new 8 speed transmissions are leap and bounds above the old 5 speeds. I have owned three Hemi engine vehicles and never once had an issue. I remember in 2006 having to use my fathers 5.4 F150 FX4 to tow a car home and I needed the bed for parts. It took the first mountain to make me wish I had my Hemi Durango...no comparison on the better tow vehicle then. So I am not sure I would go bashing the transmissions and drivetrains of the Dodges. I am sure for every negative thread you find about them, you could find the same amount on the Ford.

I have owned all three and I would gladly own a Dodge again. I love my Ford but I can not say anything negative about the Dodge. The Chevy on the other hand...over $4k in numerous repairs in 6 months and in a rental car more than my own sealed its fate. I lucked out and the dealer just took it back...it was a used leased turn in when I bought it. What did I buy to replace it?...a Dodge.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:56 AM

Received 348 Likes on 234 Posts

Well that's a shocker. MTs award is usually worthless. They even state it's has to be a "significantly new" vehicle to win, and most vehicles don't change that much year to year. So if you have the only new truck in the year, like GM this year you're pretty much the winner.

I guess this just shows how much of a failure the new GM trucks are if thy couldn't take this award with a brand new truck. Then again, IMO mag awards are junk and usually based off of who buys more advertising for the mag

Last edited by GriffFX4; 12-07-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 175 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GriffFX4
Well that's a shocker. MTs award is usually worthless...Then again, IMO mag awards are junk and usually based off of who buys more advertising for the mag
I agree 100%

I'm must admit to being intrigued by a 1/2 ton truck powered by a medium sized diesel with an 8 speed, but I don't trust Dodge (Ram?) and Fiat just yet.

I'm a big diesel nut. I've had a few including a bulletproof 5.9L 24v Cummins, a ****ty 6.0L Ford, and a tuned Jetta TDI that would make you pucker. I think diesel died in the US with the ULSD though. It's too expensive and too hard on the engines, which is why I'm in a F150 5.0 v8 now.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

The problem with the MT Truck of the Year is.....Truck of the Year is only open to all-new or significantly updated trucks and vans

So, if an all new truck came out in 2013 and was still better than any of the 2014 offerings it wouldn't be eligible because it wasn't all-new or significantly updated.

Winning Truck of The Year is no indication of being the best truck...

Just my $0.02 ($0.015 USD)

Old 12-07-2013, 12:06 PM
On more meds than ymeski

Received 651 Likes on 379 Posts

And I quote

" Once it gets up to speed, it chugs along, smooth, fairly quiet, and with little effort."

By reading this it seems they are implying that the truck takes time and effort to get to speed.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend truck of the year