Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor trend on ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Motor trend on ecoboost

http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-motor...#axzz2E2TjbURY

Has anyone read this!?! They state that if u were towing more serious stuff opt for the 5.0 and not the Eco. I have towed with both and they obviously don't know what they r talking about.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw this and was surprised by that statement as well. I was thinking maybe they meant the 6.2.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by summertop511
http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-motor...#axzz2E2TjbURY

Has anyone read this!?! They state that if u were towing more serious stuff opt for the 5.0 and not the Eco. I have towed with both and they obviously don't know what they r talking about.
WOW! I have the 5.0 L and admit that I'm surprised at that statement. My 5.0 tows just fine but I'm no idiot - the Eco a better machine for heavy towing.

One thing that bothers me about that statement is that they say nothing to back it up.

They say:
"During our towing run on Davis Dam, when lugging 75 percent of its 11,300-pound as-tested towing capacity, the EcoBoost felt as if there wasn’t a lot of reserve power on the climb. While it is impressive that this SuperCrew F-150 is rated to tow 11,300 pounds (as equipped), and towing on flatter land is terrific, for the folks who tow where things get really severe, the 5.0-liter may serve you better."

What does that mean?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Batteries Not Included

Received 294 Likes on 190 Posts

They have lost a lot of credibility IMHO. I really don't understand their criteria. All they do is fuel perpetual pissing contests between makes. I researched through actually driving all the vehicles and picking my favorite. Let's be serious, they all make a good truck. The one I bought was my Truck Of The Year, based on my criteria. A buddy of mine has a Dodge. It's his TOTY, and so on.

Also, I have the 5.0 and tow very little. Twice since I bought the truck new in April. It did fine. Would an Ecoboost have been better? I think so. I just prefer V8s.

Motor Trend has really lost their edge. They used to be an authority on these matters, but now their reviews read more like paid advertisements.

That said, if you bought the truck and you love it, then it's Truck Of The Year to you and no one else but you. Isn't that what counts?
The following users liked this post:
rlc130 (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Barely made it through the first paragraph.

The Limited trim is nothing new to the F-150.

LED headlights and tail lights? Wow.....

The reviewers/writers need fired for that mistake alone. If it were some newspaper write up by a non-car guy I could see confusing the HID/LED thing, but what was once a respected car magazine, that exclusively deals with reviewing/testing vehicles?

Unacceptable.

I could see the 5.0 being better suited for towing. With all the issues prone to the EB, the most severe of which being a complete loss of power under heavy acceleration. The 5.0 has seen better towing MPG's as well, although not mentioned, this may have weighed on their decision.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Default What does that mean?

Originally Posted by justjimmy
WOW! I have the 5.0 L and admit that I'm surprised at that statement. My 5.0 tows just fine but I'm no idiot - the Eco a better machine for heavy towing.

One thing that bothers me about that statement is that they say nothing to back it up.

They say:
"During our towing run on Davis Dam, when lugging 75 percent of its 11,300-pound as-tested towing capacity, the EcoBoost felt as if there wasn’t a lot of reserve power on the climb. While it is impressive that this SuperCrew F-150 is rated to tow 11,300 pounds (as equipped), and towing on flatter land is terrific, for the folks who tow where things get really severe, the 5.0-liter may serve you better."

What does that mean?
Sir, I believe what they mean with that statement of "where things get really severe" is long hill climbing at elevation. I own a 5.0, and tow through the Eastern Sierras where elevations can reach 8,500 ft plus. The 5.0 (3:73 gears) just pulls strong like a big dog on a leash that's trying to run away from you. Having said that, I think the Ecoboost would be in it's element under those severe conditions because it has forced induction. If you own one, you know that better than a journalist who probably drives a Leaf. The leaf on your door represents a strong oak tree, his leaf represents a potted plant.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Combat vet
Sir, I believe what they mean with that statement of "where things get really severe" is long hill climbing at elevation. I own a 5.0, and tow through the Eastern Sierras where elevations can reach 8,500 ft plus. The 5.0 (3:73 gears) just pulls strong like a big dog on a leash that's trying to run away from you. Having said that, I think the Ecoboost would be in it's element under those severe conditions because it has forced induction. If you own one, you know that better than a journalist who probably drives a Leaf. The leaf on your door represents a strong oak tree, his leaf represents a potted plant.
I agree however, they should have provided more detail as to why they made that statement.

They certainly left it open ended.

BTW, nice comparison with the leaf.

Last edited by justjimmy; 12-05-2012 at 11:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Combat vet (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

It's Motor Trend. If BMW made a pickup, it would win every year. BTW, I don't think TOTY should be reserved for just new model trucks. It should be for the truck that gets the job done the best, regardless. The F150 is still king in that regard.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenferg1
It's Motor Trend. If BMW made a pickup, it would win every year. BTW, I don't think TOTY should be reserved for just new model trucks. It should be for the truck that gets the job done the best, regardless. The F150 is still king in that regard.
That's the truth. They love them some BMWs.

That said, for everyday towing, the Eco uss going to pull better, with it's flat torque curve. That said, the Coyote tends to get better mileage towing hefty loads, or in the hills, so that might be what they mean.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Don't forget Motor Trend is also Truck Trend, they share the same reviews.

Also don't forget, Ford now offers the 6.2L with or without Max tow in all trims starting with the XLT. Ford must have seen not everyone wanted an Ecoboost. BUT who can afford to drive the 6.2L if you do any time of commuting and use the truck as a daily driver. Not me. The 5.0L is very impressive and would surely have enough guts to tow anything that wouldn't be limited by the 1/2 ton lower payload. 11300 is a pipe dream even with a few extra hundred pounds of GVWR. Coupled with the HD package, yes but not without.

Quick Reply: Motor trend on ecoboost