Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More transmission problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Gig 'em

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default More transmission problems...

So after I discovered a slow leak at the bell housing, now when I get in Reverse I hear and feel a nice clunk. Also when coming to a stop, I can feel the tranny slip right when I'm about to stop. Torque converter opening? This should not happen to a brand new EXPENSIVE vehicle. I plan on getting my free oil change in about 800 miles, I hope the tranny will last that long...
Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Gig 'em

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I have the only FX4 with the slip and clunk. Just my luck
Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas2012FX4
So after I discovered a slow leak at the bell housing, now when I get in Reverse I hear and feel a nice clunk. Also when coming to a stop, I can feel the tranny slip right when I'm about to stop. Torque converter opening? This should not happen to a brand new EXPENSIVE vehicle. I plan on getting my free oil change in about 800 miles, I hope the tranny will last that long...
Are you aware that there is a TSB on the trans leak?

Eventually, all the ATf leaks out and the truck cannot move. Meanwhile driving it with low ATF, isn't a good idea.

All to say that there is this thing called a Ford dealer and that you should bring your truck there.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas2012FX4
I plan on getting my free oil change in about 800 miles, I hope the tranny will last that long...
I would not wait 800 miles.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Trailblazing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same trans as 09 thru 12. Any future models with the same 6r80 trans as our vehicles I feel will have these problems
Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikerjr
Same trans as 09 thru 12. Any future models with the same 6r80 trans as our vehicles I feel will have these problems
x2
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2009 F150 with 52000 KM....Transmission is "hunting" for correct gear when I pull my trailer and now my mileage is 10.69 MPG.

Below is the response from the Ford Engineers to my Shop Foreman

Hi Murray, here is the information from the Engineers, I said I would send to you.

Derek,
The hunting can be due to the adaptive qualities of the transmission. Transmissions like the 6R80 used in this truck have a very high level of adaptability, shift timing and intensity can be adjusted quickly in response to driver inputs but it can also be learned based on repeat driver inputs. There is a reference in the Vehicle Owner Guide, under Driving and Automatic Transmission. The learned behavior is typically what leads to unwanted harsh shifts. Certain types of driving can teach the transmission to command higher pressure in anticipation of a high load or sudden load change, some of the most common driving inputs to cause this are stop and go driving, pulling a trailer, quick stops followed by heavy acceleration and rolling stops. These scenarios create a complete lack of load on coast down or braking followed by a sudden high load downshift as the vehicle accelerates, once the TCM learns this behavior it can shift hard even on a gentle accel or low load accel from a stop. This is not an indication of failure; the firm shifts are actually a self preservation measure to prevent slippage and premature wear. If you clear the vehicle KAM and adaptive shift strategies and the concern is gone for a few hundred miles, the shifts are learned and no repair is available. You can advise the customer on the types of driving that lead to this and assure them that no damage is being done to the transmission.

Thank you for all your help. Could I trouble you for (if you have), a web site or some where I can find a fuel consumption guide that you use for Ford vehicles?

Derek,
Hotline does not have any fuel consumption guide web sites for Canadian vehicles, which would be in a kilometer/liter calculation.

For the Customer's transmission shifting complaints,
with Cruise control on while going up or down hills, sensitive transmission shifting will occur trying to maintain the set vehicle speed.
Hilly terrain can also be a factor.

I am not sure what to make of all this but if the truck would have works like this since new I would have never bought it. If 25,000 KM it was great. Then transmission problems and gas mileage keeps getting worse. Are they related problems? Who knows? Any ideas on what I should do?

Quick Reply: More transmission problems...