Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror Reflectors to Turn Signal Mods - Any gotcha's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mirror Reflectors to Turn Signal Mods - Any gotcha's?

Tomorrow morning I am going to be doing the turn signal mod on my truck. Any gotcha's or be super careful things anyone ran into?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-12-2010, 01:50 PM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah, getting the mirrors to pop off, lol

read up on that and know the process before you attempt it
Old 11-12-2010, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the popping off the mirror part is the hardest.
I had no trouble with the driver's side, but I managed to damage the passenger's, I think I used the wrong corner, and it being concave gives you less room.

So I had to order a replacement at the dealer ($32 and overnighted) so it wasn't that painful...
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Texas Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this mod a couple of weeks ago when my new lariat was finally delivered to me. If you haven't already (which I'm sure you have), definitely do a search on "mirror reflectors changed to turn signals". There is a ton of useful information on this thread. I also used the link to a different thread that had even more detailed photos and instructions.

I cut as much of the white plastic from the back of the reflectors as possible so you wouldn't be able to see any color difference in the sunlight when not blinking. Don't cut the tabs on the end of the reflectors though.

Biggest Thing: Pry the mirrors at the tab locations behind the glass. It's not as bad as it sounds. This is a simple, but very effective mod.
The following users liked this post:
marrs1721 (08-17-2013)
Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default completed mine today...

I went a simple route... popped the caps on the bottom of me mirror and pulled the wires through. Right side had about 2in of wire, Left side about half an inch. Use t-taps and tape wires. took me about 2 hours total. This is a good mod and looks even better at night...
Attached Thumbnails Mirror Reflectors to Turn Signal Mods - Any gotcha's?-fx285.jpg  
Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

everything you need to know should be in this thread.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/mirror...signals-51146/
Old 08-17-2013, 07:20 PM
2018 FX4 2.7L Super Crew

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If anyone is in Southeastern Michigan and wants help with this mod please contact me. I've got it pretty well figured out after learning from my drivers side, and flying through my passengers side. I've got everything with exception of the LED's you'd need to buy for $15 at auto zone.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

I went through the bottom caps as well except it was a PITA to get the wires back on the terminals so I drilled a small hole to put them back then used JB weld to refill wholes and black mirror paint to cover, not that you can see it anyway because it is on the bottom.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by marrs1721
LED's you'd need to buy for $15 at auto zone.
Does anyone have the auto zone part # or brand of the led's needed for this mod?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 PM
2018 FX4 2.7L Super Crew

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Things I learned from others or my own:
-On my truck it was impossible to do it through the bottom puddle mirror hole. Not enough wire available and hard to reach.
-Study the pics on how to take mirrors off. It's not as bad as it sounds.
-A longer thin narrow head flat head screw driver works best to take off mirror.
-Pop one part and the rest is simple. Just follow around the circle until it all pops out, but don't forget to hold onto the mirror or it will fall. When putting it back on, center the mirror adjuster and push in the middle to snap back on.
-Have a Torx wrench/driver size T-20 for screws.
-Have a Dremmel type rotary tool with a cut off disk attached. The reflector has a thicker plastic. Utility knives will take longer, but are do-able, and need to be super sharp.
-The plastic tabs on the end of the reflector are fragile and can break easy when popping it out.
-You DO NOT need to drill any holes in the plastic to run wires through. It can be done without doing so.
-You DO NOT need to cut any of the factory wires. You can plug right into the other amber light and it works like a champ! I used a couple of the U-shaped fork looking wire end connector things.
-Depending on the brand the end of the LED light that has the wire coming out will be bulky and will make the reflector hard to pop back in at that end. I had to cut a small piece of the 3M tape off too. Cut some of the plastic around that tubular end down to make it flatter. Either that or you can make the strip longer and bend that wired end inside a bit. See what works best for you.
-Clear weatherproof silicone around the edge of the reflector is a must before placing back on. I siliconed the heck out of the inside where the tabs on the reflectors are too. Can't hurt.
First mirror 2 hours because I was lacking some equipment and took my time figuring out the mirror removal. Second mirror 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Mirror Reflectors to Turn Signal Mods - Any gotcha's?