Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might be trading the EB for a 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Might be trading the EB for a 5.0

Kind of torn on this. Local dealer has a Fx4 with the 5.0 in it. Its not the luxury package, but I like the looks(outside and inside ) better than my XLT. I love the EB. I drove the 5.0 today. Its a solid engine, but its not the EB either. Opinions on if the upgrade looks is worth the loss of power?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:06 PM
banjer picker

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To me it would depend on what your using your truck for.If you're tow happy I'd say keep the EB,if you're like me and do not tow often id say the 5.0 would be fine.Most importantly get what you're happy with,sucks making payments on something you're not totally satisfied with.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bell4fan
Kind of torn on this. Local dealer has a Fx4 with the 5.0 in it. Its not the luxury package, but I like the looks(outside and inside ) better than my XLT. I love the EB. I drove the 5.0 today. Its a solid engine, but its not the EB either. Opinions on if the upgrade looks is worth the loss of power?
It all depends on the deal u can work out. If ur able to get the fx4 without too much of a loss, I'd say do it! I'm kind of in the same boat as u. I have a supercab xlt, but I want a screw with a 6.5' bed. I'm pretty sure i'd take a major loss, so I probably won't be able to go through with it. Best of luck to u though!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 PM

Thats kind of where Im at. Im not towing all the time, so the EB is a nice perk, just not a necessity. I told the dealer I knew I was going to get raped by him, but if he would lube it up, we might talk, hahaha....We'll see what happens Monday. Even w/o the leather, that Fx4 interior is nice.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You wouldn't be the first on here to upgrade their truck and opt for the 5.0 vs the 3.5 in the new model. That being said both are solid engines with respectable numbers. The question you need to ask yourself is the upgraded looks worth the money? If you think the FX4 is a step above and beyond what your current XLT has then maybe the trade up is just what you want.

I had the liberty of test driving a White Eco FX4 Screw and a Blue Flame 5.0 FX4 Screw, both were also equipped I believe with the 3.73 gears. I loved the way they both handled and felt on the road. You could tell which engine was under the hood based on how it reacted when pulling away in traffic or making a pass on the highway. I only want a Scab but before making my mind up on what options and accessories I want I thought I would test drive both trucks with the different engines to see if either would pull me in a certain direction. At the end of the day I'd be quite happy with whatever engine was under the hood.

Take out the 5L FX4 for a test drive and see how it feel to you and that might help you make up your mind.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 PM

I took it out today. It'll run for sure. Downshifts harder than the EB, but is definately better than the 5.4. If the deal is respectable, Im leaning towards doing it.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 PM
banjer picker

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bell4fan
I took it out today. It'll run for sure. Downshifts harder than the EB, but is definately better than the 5.4. If the deal is respectable, Im leaning towards doing it.
I was kinda in the same boat as you except I needed more room.I had a 2010 Scab and needed a Screw.I came out of a 99XLT rcsb so the Scab I thought would be plenty,I was wrong.The first day at the dealership was about 3hrs long before I walked out,they had me at $80 a month more and I just couldn't do it.It was about 3 days later they called me back and was within about 40 a month from what I was paying on the 10.I lost my *** no doubt but I was happier and haven't regretted it since.

Might be trading the EB for a 5.0-image-2167409143.jpg

^ my 10
Old 03-18-2012, 02:47 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Like one guy said on this forum that traded his Eco for a 5.0. The mpg is way more consistent and don't have to worry about hot and cold temperatures humidity rain so forth and so on. I have a scab 4x4 3.73. Never reset mpg gauge. Always at 18.5 with city and highways. Love my 5.0 and the way she sounds. Then again I'm coming from a 93 Toyota regular cab short bed 5speed 4cyl. That got the same mpg's lol
Old 03-18-2012, 03:28 AM

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I was in the same boat wanting to upgrade to the FX4 but not wanting to sacrifice any option on a loaded XLT including ecoboost. So my dealer did a three state locate and found one. It still took a week to pry it from the other dealer. So if the eco matters, I am sure they can trade that truck you are looking at for one with eco.

As for the ecoboost comment about worrying about heat, cold, and humidity???? My truck has seen all the extremes and we are currently locked into a damp cold extended winter here in the NW. No issues with this engine versus the standard V8 I had before.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

I do most of offroad driving for my job in the mountains. My decision for the 5.0 over the Eboost was the engine-braking capabilities of the 5.0. In dirving offroad, going down hills and having more engine control, the 5.0 is much more effective. That is my suggestion IMHO. Fuel economy between the two is too close for that to be a deciding factor.

Quick Reply: Might be trading the EB for a 5.0