Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maintenance tip to save U $$

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:06 PM
Chrisj

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

Default maintenance tip to save U $$

Recently my 2011 2WD XLT was only putting out heat/AC air on the two highest settings. I figured it may be the switch so I called my local (much to be desired) Dealership and found out you have to buy half the dash if you want to buy that switch.

However, the mechanic I spoke with told me its probably a resistor on the fan housing (he was right). What he was wrong about was that he said it was somewhere under the hood; no luck finding it. Ford charges $45 for the part and who knows how much to install (at least $100) the deductible.

So I went to Autozone and bought a repair manual (which I have been meaning to do for awhile anyways) and they had the resistor for $19

The book says its not under the hood but you drop the glove box door just bend the plastic so it bypasses the catch and there it is. Changed a simple resistor and the fan works on all settings again.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 05:19 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

There's at least one other model of Ford the same thing happens to. Rangers are well known for that problem. In the case of the Ranger, it is located under the hood, on the blower housing.
Wonder how many other models have the same thing?

Quick Reply: maintenance tip to save U $$