Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucas in 2010 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lucas in 2010 4.6?

I've been searching all morning for answers but have come up empty. I've used Lucas Oil Stabilizer at EVERY oil change in my last three trucks(2 were F-150s and 1 a Cummins) but, I've heard talk of LOS not being good on these new F-150s. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Why waste money on it or take the risk? There are millions of F150s out there on the road, with millions of miles driven without Lucas Oil Stabilizer... so obviously it is not needed. Just use a quality oil and filter and your truck will run for years.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah me too I Put mobile one and full synthetic oil stabilizer. Idk how it could be bad. I like knowing when I start my truck it isn't dry.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

Lucas "oil stabalizer" actually makes your oil thicker which is not good for your engine. There will be a lot of old shady tree mechanics and weekend engineers that will tell you that you need thicker oil. This cannot be further from the truth, and actually it is quite the opposite for an normal everyday driver. Lucas is good for a race car engine that is constantly being pushed to it's limits though.

The reason why is because 90% of the wear and tear that your engine will go through in it's lifetime is actually in that 10-15 minute time from when you start your vehicle to when the oil actually reaches normal operating temperature. In this time even a thin 0 grade(not weight) oil is too thick to properly coat your engine. It is not until the oil reaches it's proper operating temperature is when the oil is thin enough to properly coat and lube the cylinder walls and bearings. Thiner oils like 5w20 or 0w30 actually is better then the old 15w30 people used to use back in the old days or any kind of additive that makes your current oil thicker. That is the reason why most of your manufacturers like Ford, Porche, and Ferrari just to name a few are recomending thiner oils now compared to what they have in the old days. They have found that it is better through research and testing.

Their will probably be a hundred guys post after me that will say they used Lucas for years on their truck that has 200k miles. Well, I would ask them to show me the dyno numbers on how much power their engine lost by using the thicker oil vs an engine that hasn't used the thicker oil in it's lifetime. Sure, their engine might last as long, but their will definatly be more wear and tear on their engine causing more power loss. These weekend engineers or heresay mechanics probably will not be able to come up with any charts proving that thicker oil is better. A good google search will lead you to a lot of proven and researched tests that shows thicker oil is worse. The tests were performed by the very same manufacturers that made your engine. The real choice is who do you want to believe?

BTW, The "w" in oil designations does not stand for wieght. It stands for winter or colder temperature. For example the "5w" in 5w20 stands for the oils viscosity or grade at a colder temperature like 70 degrees. The 20 stands for the oil's viscosity at engines operating temperature of 210 degrees. It has stood for winter ever since the standard was created by he SAE in the early 1900s. How it got to be known as "weight" is beyond me and those who still call it that need to educate themselves.

EDIT: For those who are still stuck on Lucas for their everyday driver even after all the info you find from Ford and others not to use it. Congradulations, you have just been "sold" by a guy who gets paid thousands of dollars to "sell" you on his product.

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 03-18-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

+1
Nice post Al Kohalic
Old 03-18-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Kohalic
Lucas "oil stabalizer" actually makes your oil thicker which is not good for your engine. There will be a lot of old shady tree mechanics and weekend engineers that will tell you that you need thicker oil. This cannot be further from the truth, and actually it is quite the opposite for an normal everyday driver. Lucas is good for a race car engine that is constantly being pushed to it's limits though.

The reason why is because 90% of the wear and tear that your engine will go through in it's lifetime is actually in that 10-15 minute time from when you start your vehicle to when the oil actually reaches normal operating temperature. In this time even a thin 0 grade(not weight) oil is too thick to properly coat your engine. It is not until the oil reaches it's proper operating temperature is when the oil is thin enough to properly coat and lube the cylinder walls and bearings. Thiner oils like 5w20 or 0w30 actually is better then the old 15w30 people used to use back in the old days or any kind of additive that makes your current oil thicker. That is the reason why most of your manufacturers like Ford, Porche, and Ferrari just to name a few are recomending thiner oils now compared to what they have in the old days. They have found that it is better through research and testing.

Their will probably be a hundred guys post after me that will say they used Lucas for years on their truck that has 200k miles. Well, I would ask them to show me the dyno numbers on how much power their engine lost by using the thicker oil vs an engine that hasn't used the thicker oil in it's lifetime. Sure, their engine might last as long, but their will definatly be more wear and tear on their engine causing more power loss. These weekend engineers or heresay mechanics probably will not be able to come up with any charts proving that thicker oil is better. A good google search will lead you to a lot of proven and researched tests that shows thicker oil is worse. The tests were performed by the very same manufacturers that made your engine. The real choice is who do you want to believe?

BTW, The "w" in oil designations does not stand for wieght. It stands for winter or colder temperature. For example the "5w" in 5w20 stands for the oils viscosity or grade at a colder temperature like 70 degrees. The 20 stands for the oil's viscosity at engines operating temperature of 210 degrees. It has stood for winter ever since the standard was created by he SAE in the early 1900s. How it got to be known as "weight" is beyond me and those who still call it that need to educate themselves.

EDIT: For those who are still stuck on Lucas for their everyday driver even after all the info you find from Ford and others not to use it. Congradulations, you have just been "sold" by a guy who gets paid thousands of dollars to "sell" you on his product.
good post. 5w20 was developed for the tighter engine tolerances ford started using back in 2002. The only thing LOS is good for is old engines that are worn out, leaking etc. Or to quiet a rod knock to get a few extra miles on them. Some of you people need to wake up, it is the year 2012, not 1986 and you are not driving a Grand am with a quad 4 in it. Read you frickin owners manuals and put in what it calls for. The engineers who put the recommendations in the owner manuals are not idiots.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 PM

Thanks ya'll. I haven't put any in my '10 because I use the Motorcraft that the Ford house puts in it and it's a synthetic blend. Thank you for yall's input.

Quick Reply: Lucas in 2010 4.6?