Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at this truck. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 11:25 PM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Default Looking at this truck. Thoughts?

So the truck I'm looking at is a 2014 STX screw 4x4 with the 5.0 in ingot silver. It is a Texas truck that found it's way to NC. It has a clear carfax, minimal wear, and looks to be no rust from the pictures. It does have 213k miles but the seller only wants 12k.

What do y'all think? Should I take the 2 hour ride to go look at it or pass?
https://wilmington.craigslist.org/ct...505068277.html
Old 03-06-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Without digging too hard, I can see the body lines from the hood to the fender do not align. Otherwise, it looks fairly clean with weather tech floor mats as well!

Mickey
Old 03-06-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by scootr2200
Without digging too hard, I can see the body lines from the hood to the fender do not align.
Closing the hood all the way should fix that. And LOL at the "SUPERDUTY" in the description.

It looks clean, and those miles have to be predominantly legit highway miles, but that's still a bunch of miles. I'd suggest getting it checked thoroughly before buying.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truck looks like classic example of an energy company rig. Seller bought truck from Manheim-you can see the stickers in the window. Manheim gets gazillions of these trucks from fleet outfits. Ranch Hand grille guard is also a dead giveaway-energy companies like them. A crew cab F150 means probably a sales or service rep's truck for an oilfield equipment manufacturer. Field guys usually have an F250. Would be almost all highway miles with maybe some graded dirt. They assign them to a guy right from new-he keeps the truck at his house-so one guy will be the only driver until traded in. Fleet covers the maintenance, so they get it done on schedule-usually at Ford dealers. That mileage is actually typical for an energy company truck. They can be found all over out here in the west.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 209 Likes on 166 Posts

Pretty sure its at a dealer. Other vehicles have same sticker and there isn't a license plate on it. Might be some wiggle room. If that's your budget might be worth looking at. You wont know unless you look at it. Personally I would find something with less miles but it's not me.

Last edited by funmoneypit150; 03-06-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I was thinking it was probably an energy-related truck, and it looks like it has been maintained, but that's still a bunch of wear and tear in a relatively short timespan. I think I'd be more concerned about the wear and tear on the suspension (some of those Texas FM roads aren't exactly smooth as glass) than the drivetrain; if it has been as well maintained as it looks, the drivetrain should have a lot more life left in it.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure of your plans for the truck or your financial situation, but I would personally never buy a used vehicle with that many miles on it.
The following users liked this post:
elfiero (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoonerLS
I was thinking it was probably an energy-related truck, and it looks like it has been maintained, but that's still a bunch of wear and tear in a relatively short timespan. I think I'd be more concerned about the wear and tear on the suspension (some of those Texas FM roads aren't exactly smooth as glass) than the drivetrain; if it has been as well maintained as it looks, the drivetrain should have a lot more life left in it.
Yep. Kind of have to see in person to decide. If bed shows little use, then it was a sales rep. I've had company trucks for years now. I'm very fussy about my truck and care for the
company trucks just like they were my own. I would break it down like 20% of guys take real good care of them. 50% take good care of 'em. 20% not so good, but don't abuse 'em
either-dust on the dash, coffee stain on the seat. Then you have about 10% where the truck has a new dent every time you see it. Old food wrappers on the floor. It is a lot of miles-
I put 50k average on mine per year. (Result is my personal trucks have real low mileage) Probably depends how many miles you will put on it and how much you are gonna use it.

Last edited by MarkBowers; 03-06-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

It will be a money pit. So if you want to deal with that potential headache, have money set aside.

Carfax, previous owner claiming highway miles, how he babied it, etc don't mean squat.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

It is a dealer and honestly it is a lot of miles. I tend to drive more than the average person so Ill just hold off for something lower mileage. Thanks for the opinions guys.

Quick Reply: Looking at this truck. Thoughts?