Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2010 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4 150,000 miles good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking at a 2010 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4 150,000 miles good or bad

So I fellas the title pretty much sums it up. I'm looking for a new pickup. I really just need something to get me about 3-4 years thru Southwest Pennsylvania. I've been looking at lots of trucks and they're pulling crazy money right now.

The truck I'm looking at now is in fair shape. The previous owner used it as a truck. There's some scratches, dings in the bed, scratches on the bed caps, ashes on the floor but no animal thank goodness.

So what do you all think about the 5.4 with that high of mileage? It seems alright at idle is smooth with just a little tapping when you have the hood open however all our fleet of E350s sounded the same.

I pay a big loan off in about 3 years and hopefully would be able to step up to a much newer 1 but i still like this style enough I think i could stand it. I actually really like the look thru these years.

I have a friend at a large lot that had me a supercab 50,000, 1 owner, immaculate interior. An old fella had it and he came in for a new one. She called me at 2. I couldn't leave work til 5 and someone came in at 4 and bought it. I was upset but am now back to looking at the lariat.

So the lariat is advertised at $13,500. Tires are ok on the rear look good on the front. A few scratches but everything works as it should. I figure i can throw a trifold tonneu cover on to cover the bed. I just hope I'm not gonna step into motor or tranny hell or something that's gonna nickle and dime me cause these nickles today are 500 bucks and the dimes are at a grand. If you're lucky.

Oh well not sure what I'm gonna hear but please everyone leave a reply good or bed telling me what you think. How's the longevity of the motors/transmissions and anything else no matter how minor. Thanks all!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:21 AM

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts

It pretty much depends on how it was maintained. A buddy of mine had the 5.4 in an Expy that his wife drove ton185k with no issues. If it was maintained properly, you should be good for 2-3 years at least.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:22 AM

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

I'll sell you my '10 Harley F-150 for the same price w/ 96,000 miles. You'll have to come to WA, though.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2010 with the 5.4 and the only thing I heard bad about the engine is the exhaust manifold bolts.. Seems Ford's better idea was to use blots that broke off and sooner or later you had to do something about it. Even heard of drilling and ez-outing studs. My 10 only has 27k (bought new) so not worried, yet.

One other thing about the 2010's is; it's engine control computer is VERY VERY slow to respond to your foot. Pulling a heavy load like a RV in TOW mode, the damn thing won't shift up or down when needed. You have to floor it several times to downshift and leave off the gas to let it upshift..

One thing is for sure. I bought my LAST Ford product. I'm tired of fighting with the dealership about the problem. All I get is a stare.. In fact, no more American made trucks for that matter.

Good luck

Last edited by RadioMan; 01-29-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

When you take it for a test drive, try to drive by someplace that will echo sound back at you. When you do, have the window open towards that side and give it some gas. Does it sound like a diesel? If so, probably needs a timing job.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2010 xlt with 5.4 with 171000 miles I like it only thing 'd change is the 3.31 rear. Pulls good gets decent mileage and have the ability to run E85 which I like when the price is right. I have on occasion thought that the timing components were going rollers rockers and lash adjusters. But its just ticking from those damn noisy injectors I'd recommend which was recomended to me here to get a mechanics stethoscope (harbor freight has a decent one cheap) and listen on the valve covers and see if you can isolate and ticking or odd sounds to what they are I thought I had bad parts turns out just injectors. Good luck on your purchase which ever way you go hope this helps some
Old 01-30-2018, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wesley416
I have a 2010 xlt with 5.4 with 171000 miles I like it only thing 'd change is the 3.31 rear. Pulls good gets decent mileage and have the ability to run E85 which I like when the price is right. I have on occasion thought that the timing components were going rollers rockers and lash adjusters. But its just ticking from those damn noisy injectors I'd recommend which was recomended to me here to get a mechanics stethoscope (harbor freight has a decent one cheap) and listen on the valve covers and see if you can isolate and ticking or odd sounds to what they are I thought I had bad parts turns out just injectors. Good luck on your purchase which ever way you go hope this helps some
I had to replace all the timing related (chains, tensioners, phasers and VCTS) at just under 55,000. Should have been before 50,000 but, I didn’t know that is what it was at that time. Mine sounded like a loud diesel when you did as I described above. I could also get it to do it by putting it in drive, left foot on brake and rev it to about 1500 rpms. Could really hear it if you were next to a wall and window open.

Trending Topics

Old 01-30-2018, 12:55 PM

To not be all negative. I have 2 coworkers that have the 5.4 engine and have more miles than I do that have not had any issues with the truck.

I still like the truck after it got fixed with newer and better parts.
The following users liked this post:
MrLunchbox (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blue2010xlt
I had to replace all the timing related (chains, tensioners, phasers and VCTS) at just under 55,000. Should have been before 50,000 but, I didn’t know that is what it was at that time. Mine sounded like a loud diesel when you did as I described above. I could also get it to do it by putting it in drive, left foot on brake and rev it to about 1500 rpms. Could really hear it if you were next to a wall and window open.
Its amazing how some fail and some run forever it seems (within reason). I've often considered doing a fresh timing set, oil pump, and lash adjusters and rollers and VCT'S as preventative as i plan on driving this truck until I cant anymore. I have heard the drive thru test as being one of the best methods to determine if you have a problem or not.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wesley416
Its amazing how some fail and some run forever it seems (within reason). I've often considered doing a fresh timing set, oil pump, and lash adjusters and rollers and VCT'S as preventative as i plan on driving this truck until I cant anymore. I have heard the drive thru test as being one of the best methods to determine if you have a problem or not.
Unreal how that works. I think a lot depends on how it was taken care of but, that is by no means a guarantee. I bought mine last year with just under 50,000 on it. I could only hear it under those circumstances and this being my first 4wd truck I didn’t know if the noise was normal or not. It kept bugging me until one day I ran across a few threads that described the noise and I had an aha and an oh **** moment. Now, the truck is in great shape body wise as it hardly saw any winter driving here in the salt belt. However, I don’t know if the PO just took care of the body and got lax on the mechanical or what. Or maybe he knew what it was and dumped it because it wasn’t under warranty. Glad I sprung for the warranty. Won the lottery on that one.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2010 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4 150,000 miles good or bad