Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Clutch Packs worn out at 37,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Limited Slip Clutch Packs worn out at 37,000 miles

I've got an 2011 xlt eco screw 4x2 with the limited slip 3.55 rear end. I've been complaining to the dealership for over a year and today the problem was finally diagnosed as what I told them I initially thought it was. The dealership has fed me every possible run around in the book. I've paid for new brakes, had tires rotated, replaced, things lubricated, you name it. The noise was an audible whining sound during sharp turns and was particularly aggravated when driving long distances or towing the boat. However often times if you let the truck sit overnight (at the dealership) in the morning it won't make the noise until you drive a while again. Hence the numerous trips to the dealership with "It's fixed, pay us" memos. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a 2011 XLT 5.0, 3.73 ltd slip. While mine was not whining or doing anything unusual other than 3-5 small shudders while accelerating from a stop. I cured mine with a bottle of friction modifier to the differential. Motorcraft part # B000NU5LP6.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

The LSD lube will help, but it's only a temporary fix; and the more you put in the more the diff fluid gets diluted - and THAT'S not good.

I used to build gears, and to complain about a clutch pack "ONLY" lasting 37,000 miles made me fall back in my chair! Average for a factory pack is about 25,000 miles (in a car) until they essentially become useless. Then they get noisy. Then they crash-n-burn and start breaking spider gears (then you have a "locker"! )

1- don't have the dealer do it. Find good truck shop who can do it for about 1/2, in about 1/2 the time.

2- learn to do it yourself. It's really not that involved of a job if you have a few essential tools (dial indicator, micrometer, in-lb torque wrench, and then just the basics)

3- get a e-locker or even a Detroit locker (those are wonderful, and almost -0- maintenance for life)

I've had 'em all, built them all. But for a truck, an LSD is going to run you some maintenance money periodically, no way of escaping it. (sorry for the not-so-good news, but you owe the dealer some $)
Old 05-27-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

My father went through 5 clutch packs in his 95 Bronco before my buddy, who works for Ford, figured it out. It was backing his boat into the boat ramp and his driveway every weekend. One wheel still while the other is turning ate them up. Sold the Bronco to a friend who does not tow and he put 40K more miles on the truck before he sold it and had no problems at all. Before it would eat a rear every 25K miles.

My buddy (Ford tech since 1979) said that he had the same issue with the CSX railroad guys trucks. They would have one wheel in the dirt(slipping) with the other on stone(gripping) and they were going through clutch packs like crazy. He changed all their trucks to open rears and never had one back since. If they get stuck they can just use their 4 wheel drive.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Clutch Packs worn out at 37,000 miles