Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighting Threads Are The New MPG Threads.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Obvious Troll

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lighting Threads Are The New MPG Threads.

Since lighting threads are popping up all over the place, and MPG threads are starting to die off. I thought I would help fill the ranks.

My question is... Has anyone just replaced the whole fog light housing for more output? There are several threads on headlights covering new bulbs, HID retrofits, Recon lights, and so on. But no one seems to be focusing on replacing the stock fog light housing with say, a Hella unit. I realize that there are LED bulbs that are ridiculously cheap, and thus a very attractive option. But ever since I had a Mk3 Jetta with Hella projector fogs, I have wanted that high output, sharp cutoff foglight on my vehicles. But I don't want a bull bar or a light bar to put them on, since I am more into improving stock performance without drawing attention to it.
So if you have answers/pictures/ideas, this is the official thread to post retrofitted fog lights in the stock location. You are also welcome to post any helpful links.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

heck I always thought Ford fog lamps were the improved version - I mean, compared to the fog "lights" in the GMC Sierra. Appears that they had some extra tail light bulbs laying around and used those...

I've mostly seen additional driving lights on bull bars and replaced headlights here, not too many replaced fogs.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Ford Freak

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Ask and you shall receive....

My foglights are halo projectors from Spyder, with a 35w HID kit installed. They are advertised as being only available for '04-'08 F-150's, but they snap right into the factory holes and plug right in. The halos are lit by two led's, which I will soon change out for 6000k ccfl halos, to match my headlights.

It's funny, in this pic my high beams look blue, but the output is white.

Lighting Threads Are The New MPG Threads.-forumrunner_20120216_121310.jpg

Last edited by fordfan77; 02-16-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by fordfan77
My foglights are halo projectors from Spyder, with a 35w HID kit installed. They are advertised as being only available for '04-'08 F-150's, but they snap right into the factory holes and plug right in. The halos are lit by two led's, which I will soon change out for 6000k ccfl halos, to match my headlights.
Do they use H10 HID's?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Obvious Troll

Ask and you shall receive....
Thank you. Do you happen to know the outside diameter of those?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Ford Freak

Originally Posted by pfbz

Do they use H10 HID's?
They come with H3 normal bulbs. HID was added later.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Ford Freak

Originally Posted by Brutus Jr.

Thank you. Do you happen to know the outside diameter of those?
No I don't, they are the same as stock, same mounting points, same kind of adjustment screw.

Very easy to replace, you can literally have them changed out in less than five minutes, unplug the wire, remove the adjustment screw, pull the tabs on the sides of the bucket out, and push the light through the front of the bumper, and reverse to replace.

An adapter comes with the kit, to plug the light into your factory plug, as well as a complete wiring kit/switch/relay if you didn't have fog lights to begin with. No brackets come with it since you reuse the factory light tunnel/bucket to mount. You will have to wire up the halos, I just wired mine to the same place as my headlight halos, they come on with the key, day and night. I use my halos as DRL's.

Last edited by fordfan77; 02-16-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Obvious Troll

Originally Posted by Brutus Jr.
Do you happen to know the outside diameter of those?

I stopped being lazy and went out and measured mine. They are 4.5" in diameter. Time to start searching ebay!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No I don't, they are the same as stock, same mounting points, same kind of adjustment screw.

Very easy to replace, you can literally have them changed out in less than five minutes, unplug the wire, remove the adjustment screw, pull the tabs on the sides of the bucket out, and push the light through the front of the bumper, and reverse to replace.

An adapter comes with the kit, to plug the light into your factory plug, as well as a complete wiring kit/switch/relay if you didn't have fog lights to begin with. No brackets come with it since you reuse the factory light tunnel/bucket to mount. You will have to wire up the halos, I just wired mine to the same place as my headlight halos, they come on with the key, day and night. I use my halos as DRL's.
You have a link to where you got them from?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Ford Freak

Originally Posted by LaxinFish29

You have a link to where you got them from?
Not right now, check out carid.com and look for fog lights for a '08 F150, they come in clear or smoked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lighting Threads Are The New MPG Threads.