Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifts and warranties...more actual facts instead of false info provided by members.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Lifts and warranties...more actual facts instead of false info provided by members.

Quick little did bit to again prove the lift/warranty issue. Its a very cut and dry simple yes or no but we have numerous members who think they have the slightest clue on what a dealer can and can not do.

A friend of mine who is a tech at the Dealer down the street from me called to inform me that they just turned away(last weds) a 2011 F150 with 8k miles on it with an EPAS problem(same clunk I had). Turned aways because of the 6in bds lift. The service manager told the customer its lifted and that voids all warranty, the customer told the manager it does not void the warranty, the manager told him and I quote "well, its because you have larger tires than stock and that voids the warranty" that my friends is stupidity at its finest and happens a lot at dealerships from clueless managers and advisors.

My friend gave me the name and number of the customer off the R.O seeing that I handled these types of claims as a service manager and did all of our lift and accessory installs as a tech. I verified the info from the gentlemen with the truck and told him to call the federal trade commission and file a complaint in regards to violation of the moss magnuson act. He said he would that day. I got a call today from the guy today,who made the complaint last week. It turns out this is not the first time this particular dealer has turned down work due to aftermarket parts being installed. The dealer called him as well and with a sense of urgency told him they could get him in today to get the truck torn down and have the parts within 2 days, offered him a loaner and 6 mos of free oil changes for is trouble.

They will end up getting fined or placed on a Ford watch list for dealer trouble reports. The customer declined taking the truck back as I referred him to my dealership that I use, who have no problem with trucks that are lifted. They know the law.

That being said, as I and others have said more than once, a dealer can not decline warranty work because of a lift or larger tires. They HAVE to prove that the lift or other aftermarket component caused the failure of the part in question. So if you were off roading, catching air and destroyed a ball joint they can prove YOU did that and only deny repair for said ball joint, not your warranty.

To all you unsure because of all the misguided info you get here on the site, this is truth not my buddy earl told me, or my service advisor told me etc etc. If this happens to you do an online complaint with the FTC and you will get results.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post this!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by motox151
Quick little did bit to again prove the lift/warranty issue. Its a very cut and dry simple yes or no but we have numerous members who think they have the slightest clue on what a dealer can and can not do.

A friend of mine who is a tech at the Dealer down the street from me called to inform me that they just turned away(last weds) a 2011 F150 with 8k miles on it with an EPAS problem(same clunk I had). Turned aways because of the 6in bds lift. The service manager told the customer its lifted and that voids all warranty, the customer told the manager it does not void the warranty, the manager told him and I quote "well, its because you have larger tires than stock and that voids the warranty" that my friends is stupidity at its finest and happens a lot at dealerships from clueless managers and advisors.

My friend gave me the name and number of the customer off the R.O seeing that I handled these types of claims as a service manager and did all of our lift and accessory installs as a tech. I verified the info from the gentlemen with the truck and told him to call the federal trade commission and file a complaint in regards to violation of the moss magnuson act. He said he would that day. I got a call today from the guy today,who made the complaint last week. It turns out this is not the first time this particular dealer has turned down work due to aftermarket parts being installed. The dealer called him as well and with a sense of urgency told him they could get him in today to get the truck torn down and have the parts within 2 days, offered him a loaner and 6 mos of free oil changes for is trouble.

They will end up getting fined or placed on a Ford watch list for dealer trouble reports. The customer declined taking the truck back as I referred him to my dealership that I use, who have no problem with trucks that are lifted. They know the law.

That being said, as I and others have said more than once, a dealer can not decline warranty work because of a lift or larger tires. They HAVE to prove that the lift or other aftermarket component caused the failure of the part in question. So if you were off roading, catching air and destroyed a ball joint they can prove YOU did that and only deny repair for said ball joint, not your warranty.

To all you unsure because of all the misguided info you get here on the site, this is truth not my buddy earl told me, or my service advisor told me etc etc. If this happens to you do an online complaint with the FTC and you will get results.
Ok, if that's what you think. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Lifts and warranties...more actual facts instead of false info provided by members.