Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling shocks voids warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leveling shocks voids warranty

Installed level shocks around 42k miles on my 2014 F150 XL 3.7, set the front to 2.0 inches, also installed add a leaf to raise up the rear. At 49k miles I'm getting a rattle over bumps. Front left, can only hear it with the window down, if I lightly tap the brakes the noise is completely gone. No loose steering or vibration while driving, steering feels super tight so I thought it was my brakes. The dealership said the brakes are fine and I have bad ball joints.

I have the most expensive PremiumCARE warranty so ball joints would have been covered if I had not installed the level shocks. So if you have level shocks or any type of lift on your truck, your warranty is void with any issue on suspension. Dealerships suck anyways so it's not too surprising when they deny warranty work, but I really doubt a 2 inch level shock could destroy ball joints in 7000 miles. Thinking about cancelling my extended warranty because they will probably find a way to deny ANY repair.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

You have to pay to play. I can easily see where a lift could cause suspension modifications. Why should Ford cover this?
Old 05-14-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 325 Likes on 240 Posts

Ford is 100% in the right to deny warranty. Your leveling shocks altered the stock suspension geometries which will make your ball joints and other suspension components wear quicker. I don't understand how you want Ford to pay for something you knowingly caused. Replace the ball joints and move on.

If you want to cancel your warranty that is up to you, but if your engine throws a rod, they won't deny warranty because you have leveling shocks. They have to be able to prove the modification caused the damage. It's common sense your leveling shocks caused your ball joints to wear quicker. Did they cause them to wear in 7,000 miles?... who knows, but it is not up to Ford to pay for it.
The following users liked this post:
Spectragod (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I also would side with the dealer, anyone knows a change in the suspension can cause suspension issues.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:35 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
I also would side with the dealer, anyone knows a change in the suspension can cause suspension issues.
I ate through upper ball joints in 45000 miles after doing a level. I am lifting the truck this summer, and that'll correct the angles. Prior ball joints with no level lasted 95000 miles.

Lowers are still fine on my truck, it's just the uppers.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:47 PM

Any suggestions on heavy duty ball joints or should I install updated control arms? I figure many people are using leveling shocks, thought it was ok to smack them on with stock components, apparently it's not ok.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by CheeseTruckXL57
Any suggestions on heavy duty ball joints or should I install updated control arms? I figure many people are using leveling shocks, thought it was ok to smack them on with stock components, apparently it's not ok.
I forget what their name is (Camburg perhaps?) make an upper control arm with uni-ball ball joints designed for trucks with level only setups. They ain't cheap but it's what you need to run that type of system. If you have 4wd your also stressing the cv shafts due to the extreme angle that level put them in and eventually those will have to be replaced as well prematurely. In the end it's cheaper to lift than level as a tru lift kit maintains suspension geometry as well as oem ride quality and no other extra parts are needed to supplement it.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:39 PM

Just got my truck back, they're saying that I need $1,883 dollars in repairs because the front end is strained and they don't even want to do the work and recommended a specialty shop. Because of front level shocks set at 2" ?? Meanwhile, the steering is tight, no vibration on the highway, just a rattle over big bumps, can't be heard with the windows up. So, FYI, if you want to put level shocks on, suffer the consequences
Old 05-14-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

The majority don't suffer, so the majority will continue to mod.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:56 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

The majority don't keep vehicles long enough to suffer from such things.

Quick Reply: Leveling shocks voids warranty