Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling Kit Selection

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Network Engineer / Geek

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Leveling Kit Selection

I had a pair of Bilstein shocks on order from a place who lied about them being in stock... so, now I'm back looking for other options.

I have a new set of rims sitting in my garage, and early next month I'll have the larger tires waiting to be stuck on my truck. So I really don't want to wait and see if the Bilstein shocks happen to come or not...

So, as I see it, my options are...

• Rancho quickLIFT -- ~$400
  • FOX 2.0 Front Adjustable Coilovers -- ~$720 (kinda expensive)
  • Pro Comp Pro Runner SS Ride Height Adjustable Shocks -- ~$220
  • or spend real money on a suspension kit.
I'm really wanting to spend a comparable amount to the Bilstein, as I was originally just going to do spacers (until I read more)

so... what's the best choice here? Will the Pro Comp shocks work well? Or should I spend more on the Rancho? The Fox shocks look nice, but that's a lot of money for entry level shocks.

With Bilstein being backordered across the country, what is everyone else turning to?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I talked to someone from F150 Lifts today, and they told me their Boss shock kit was going to be released at $799 very soon, so that is another option, but also more than I was wanting to spend.. but if I can be convinced that it's absolutely the best option... I can be talked into spending more $$

Thanks!

Last edited by tonhe; 06-24-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tonhe
I had a pair of Bilstein shocks on order from a place who lied about them being in stock... so, now I'm back looking for other options.

I have a new set of rims sitting in my garage, and early next month I'll have the larger tires waiting to be stuck on my truck. So I really don't want to wait and see if the Bilstein shocks happen to come or not...

So, as I see it, my options are...

• Rancho quickLIFT -- ~$400
  • FOX 2.0 Front Adjustable Coilovers -- ~$720 (kinda expensive)
  • Pro Comp Pro Runner SS Ride Height Adjustable Shocks -- ~$220
  • or spend real money on a suspension kit.
I'm really wanting to spend a comparable amount to the Bilstein, as I was originally just going to do spacers (until I read more)

so... what's the best choice here? Will the Pro Comp shocks work well? Or should I spend more on the Rancho? The Fox shocks look nice, but that's a lot of money for entry level shocks.

With Bilstein being backordered across the country, what is everyone else turning to?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I talked to someone from F150 Lifts today, and they told me their Boss shock kit was going to be released at $799 very soon, so that is another option, but also more than I was wanting to spend.. but if I can be convinced that it's absolutely the best option... I can be talked into spending more $$

Thanks!

Wait, what's wrong with spacers?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Network Engineer / Geek

Originally Posted by Matt_RTR_FX4
Wait, what's wrong with spacers?
I've just read they put more stress on components due to changed angels and such. I could be way off base though. That's why I'm posting here.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've just read they put more stress on components due to changed angels and such. I could be way off base though. That's why I'm posting here.
I've never heard that about the level kit spacers, only on wheel spacers..
Old 06-24-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Oh ok. I thought all leveling kits put some type of strain on the front. I may be wrong though. If $ isn't an option I would go with a 4" Rancho. I went with 1.5" Autospring and wished I had something a little bigger now.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Southern Pride

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Autospring corp makes 2" & 2.5" level kits which are designed to go ontop if the stock strut and bolts in the bucket so achieve the same amount of lift a replacement lift strut would.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:22 PM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

no matter what you do to the front to lift/level it, if you don't replace (or add brackets to) any of the following: lower control arm, upper control arm, steering knuckle ... and if 4WD, the front transfer case ... then you ARE stressing the components in a matter of speaking.

Whether you use spacers or "longer" struts up front, you're causing your upper and lower control arms to angle more downward than the stock angles. This might not be a real "stress" in and of itself, but they can only angle down so much, so you have "lost" an amount of your down-travel by whatever height you just got out of your lift/level.

I have read, countless times, how using struts such as the bilstein coilovers (and similar) are "better for your truck" than using spacers ... but other than the improved shock/strut component, I can't see how it's any different in terms of your other stock suspension parts. They both do the same thing in the end re: the lift/level ... they push the tire down further, thus lifting up your front end.

That said, if you only want to stay in the 1.5-2.5" lift/level range, and you feel you do NOT need the better shocks/struts, you'd be silly to pay for more than new front spacers and new rear blocks.

In terms of price, however, if there are bilstein ride-height-adjustable shocks in stock for your truck, they are not that much more expensive than spacers ... but you will still have to use your existing front coil springs (remove them from your existing struts, and install onto the bilsteins, then install the struts in your truck). Not a huge deal, but it is more labor intensive than just putting spacers in.

Also, if not going over the ~2" lift range, you dont need to change your rear factory shocks either. More lift in the back than that, and you should consider getting new shocks since you're taking away down-travel from there too.

Of course, if you're wanting to go with about a 4" lift, then get a real suspension kit with brackets to drop the lower control arm, and the elongated steering knuckle to keep your upper control arm at a factory angle. these kits typically also come with brackets and shims to lower your front transfer case so that your CV joints and drive arms also kept at factory geometry angles.

Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wiggum:
kchill93 (06-24-2014), tonhe (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 02:36 PM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Received 407 Likes on 304 Posts

Ok.... I will put my .02 cents in here..... Any type of lift that utilizes either spacers and/or new "adjustable" front struts (F150.com, bilstein, Rancho quick lift, etc...) ONLY raise the front strut system INDEED increases more angle on the CV joints, tie rod angle & ball joint angle...ESPECIALLY the upper ball joint. Now with that said... Generally 2" should be the maximum you should go even though more angles will be there & most likely will wear out more quickly (verses stock angles, of course). When you purchase front strut replacements, you are also getting a better quality strut & dampening & will help the ride better & usually lifetime warranties too. But again, the ANGLES indeed are increased. I even installed a 2" spacer on my sons truck and it now has over 100,000 miles with no adverse effects .... But again the angles are increased. Lastly, when purchasing a quality suspension system, (Rancho 4", BDS, Mcgaughy, RCX, skyjacker, Procomp just to name a few)... They have drop brackets & replacement steering knuckles that retain factory geometry on all the angles. But that now drives the cost anywhere from $1200-$2000 & higher..... BUT those kits are well engineered, ride just like OR even BETTER than stock. Either way you go, it's best not to exceed a "spacer or front strut lift" over 2" without any other angle compensation of your steering & suspension angles or you may have premature wear on your suspension components. Hope the info helps & hopefully others can chime in on their experiences as well.

Last edited by Lethal Weapon; 06-24-2014 at 02:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tonhe (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 02:40 PM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Received 407 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiggum
no matter what you do to the front to lift/level it, if you don't replace (or add brackets to) any of the following: lower control arm, upper control arm, steering knuckle ... and if 4WD, the front transfer case ... then you ARE stressing the components in a matter of speaking. Whether you use spacers or "longer" struts up front, you're causing your upper and lower control arms to angle more downward than the stock angles. This might not be a real "stress" in and of itself, but they can only angle down so much, so you have "lost" an amount of your down-travel by whatever height you just got out of your lift/level. I have read, countless times, how using struts such as the bilstein coilovers (and similar) are "better for your truck" than using spacers ... but other than the improved shock/strut component, I can't see how it's any different in terms of your other stock suspension parts. They both do the same thing in the end re: the lift/level ... they push the tire down further, thus lifting up your front end. That said, if you only want to stay in the 1.5-2.5" lift/level range, and you feel you do NOT need the better shocks/struts, you'd be silly to pay for more than new front spacers and new rear blocks. In terms of price, however, if there are bilstein ride-height-adjustable shocks in stock for your truck, they are not that much more expensive than spacers ... but you will still have to use your existing front coil springs (remove them from your existing struts, and install onto the bilsteins, then install the struts in your truck). Not a huge deal, but it is more labor intensive than just putting spacers in. Also, if not going over the ~2" lift range, you dont need to change your rear factory shocks either. More lift in the back than that, and you should consider getting new shocks since you're taking away down-travel from there too. Of course, if you're wanting to go with about a 4" lift, then get a real suspension kit with brackets to drop the lower control arm, and the elongated steering knuckle to keep your upper control arm at a factory angle. these kits typically also come with brackets and shims to lower your front transfer case so that your CV joints and drive arms also kept at factory geometry angles. Hope this helps.
Funny when we all type pretty much the same thing at the same time..... Too Funny! But yes... Very good advice! ^^^^^ what he just said! Lol!

Last edited by Lethal Weapon; 06-24-2014 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tonhe (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Network Engineer / Geek

Originally Posted by Wiggum
no matter what you do to the front to lift/level it, if you don't replace (or add brackets to) any of the following: lower control arm, upper control arm, steering knuckle ... and if 4WD, the front transfer case ... then you ARE stressing the components in a matter of speaking.

Whether you use spacers or "longer" struts up front, you're causing your upper and lower control arms to angle more downward than the stock angles. This might not be a real "stress" in and of itself, but they can only angle down so much, so you have "lost" an amount of your down-travel by whatever height you just got out of your lift/level.

I have read, countless times, how using struts such as the bilstein coilovers (and similar) are "better for your truck" than using spacers ... but other than the improved shock/strut component, I can't see how it's any different in terms of your other stock suspension parts. They both do the same thing in the end re: the lift/level ... they push the tire down further, thus lifting up your front end.

That said, if you only want to stay in the 1.5-2.5" lift/level range, and you feel you do NOT need the better shocks/struts, you'd be silly to pay for more than new front spacers and new rear blocks.

In terms of price, however, if there are bilstein ride-height-adjustable shocks in stock for your truck, they are not that much more expensive than spacers ... but you will still have to use your existing front coil springs (remove them from your existing struts, and install onto the bilsteins, then install the struts in your truck). Not a huge deal, but it is more labor intensive than just putting spacers in.

Also, if not going over the ~2" lift range, you dont need to change your rear factory shocks either. More lift in the back than that, and you should consider getting new shocks since you're taking away down-travel from there too.

Of course, if you're wanting to go with about a 4" lift, then get a real suspension kit with brackets to drop the lower control arm, and the elongated steering knuckle to keep your upper control arm at a factory angle. these kits typically also come with brackets and shims to lower your front transfer case so that your CV joints and drive arms also kept at factory geometry angles.

Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by lethalweapon_09
Ok.... I will put my .02 cents in here..... Any type of lift that utilizes either spacers and/or new "adjustable" front struts (F150.com, bilstein, Rancho quick lift, etc...) ONLY raise the front strut system INDEED increases more angle on the CV joints, tie rod angle & ball joint angle...ESPECIALLY the upper ball joint. Now with that said... Generally 2" should be the maximum you should go even though more angles will be there & most likely will wear out more quickly (verses stock angles, of course). When you purchase front strut replacements, you are also getting a better quality strut & dampening & will help the ride better & usually lifetime warranties too. But again, the ANGLES indeed are increased. I even installed a 2" spacer on my sons truck and it now has over 100,000 miles with no adverse effects .... But again the angles are increased. Lastly, when purchasing a quality suspension system, (Rancho 4", BDS, Mcgaughy, RCX, skyjacker, Procomp just to name a few)... They have drop brackets & replacement steering knuckles that retain factory geometry on all the angles. But that now drives the cost anywhere from $1200-$2000 & higher..... BUT those kits are well engineered, ride just like OR even BETTER than stock. Either way you go, it's best not to exceed a "spacer or front strut lift" over 2" without any other angle compensation of your steering & suspension angles or you may have premature wear on your suspension components. Hope the info helps & hopefully others can chime in on their experiences as well.
These are exactly the comments I was wanting to hear!

As an IT guy, I live day to day with the premise of knowing what I know, and knowing what I don't know. And to be 100% honest, I don't know jack about suspension systems.

Thank you so much for your input. For the time being I won't waste my money on anything more than 2" spacers so I can run larger tires.

But in the mean time -- I will consider saving up some extra cash to swap the suspension out and put in a proper 3-4" lift.

Thanks again -- These forums rock!

Last edited by tonhe; 06-24-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit Selection