Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Tailgate Bars - So frustrating!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
OIF VET - BRZ *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED Tailgate Bars - So frustrating!

So I bought a Bully brand LED tailgate bar from Autozone. I took it home and did exactly as the directions said..I installed it, powered up the truck, did the signal memory test and...well nothing..thats it..nothing! I looked online for help and I didn't find anything so I contacted Bully. They didn't know how to fix them so they gave me some Billy Bobs phone number who was relaxing on his porch drinking a beer. He was their repair tech. I guess. He said..crack open the lil black box and take a look inside. This would have voided any chances of taking it back so I decided to go to Autozone and return it. They said they have some problems but to try another...so I exchanged...went through the same install procedures and damn it worked! Only problem was there were 4 LEDs on the driver side that weren't as bright as the others..

I decided I was keeping it anyway...2 days later a big rain storm comes and when I go out to start my truck the light bars are full of water (package says they are sealed to prevent this) and only 2 LED's fire up. It's currently laying in the back of my truck waiting to get refunded.

Anyone having luck with their bars?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Never saw one that work as advertised...won't put one on my truck...good luck on the refund.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's what you get when buying LED Junk straight out of Hong Kong...

I'm in the LED business and we see our share of Chinese garbage that doesn't work out of the box. Probably safe to say that the 11 year-old who was working the line that day had Spongebob on his mind when he glued your stuff together.

Sadly, for the products you're talking about, they're your only choice. Our company makes LED products that can be used for these applications. I can point you in our direction if you PM me.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 PM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i did withmine for about 6 months and ten the blinker feature wouldnt work and then half were as bright and then i just said **** it and ripped it off
Old 08-04-2010, 12:23 PM
OIF VET - BRZ *

Originally Posted by techrep
Never saw one that work as advertised...won't put one on my truck...good luck on the refund.
I saw a Recon brand light bar the other day and it was awesome but I hear they only get 1 maybe 2 years of use out of them..100.00 + can buy me seat covers I can use for a long time..ya know
Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM
OIF VET - BRZ *

The other thing i didn't like is that the strip, when choosing the 60" option, was not a strip rather it is 3 pieces that butt together...there are 2 gaps in the lightbar which looks stupid..I'll take pics and share..
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM
OIF VET - BRZ *

Originally Posted by techrep

I called Autozone...they said bring it in for a refund...you have 90 days with them although their receipt does say that they can deny you a refund if they are having a bad day.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by H.A.
That's what you get when buying LED Junk straight out of Hong Kong...

I'm in the LED business and we see our share of Chinese garbage that doesn't work out of the box. Probably safe to say that the 11 year-old who was working the line that day had Spongebob on his mind when he glued your stuff together.

Sadly, for the products you're talking about, they're your only choice. Our company makes LED products that can be used for these applications. I can point you in our direction if you PM me.
Somebody didn't earn their quarter!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I have seen several on trucks around here. I really think they should be standard.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM
OIF VET - BRZ *

Haha need I say I saw that coming. I will PM him and see what they can do. I saw that Cadillac puts them on their vehicles in the factory...they looked good so that's where my inspiration came from..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Tailgate Bars - So frustrating!