Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather seat problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Leather seat problem

I noticed that my leather driver seat had tiny white spots on the edge a few weeks ago and I just thought it was a stain or something. When I looked closer I noticed the white spots were where the leather had "chipped" off. Has anyone had this happen? I'm not worried about the cracks in the leather bc that is just part of having leather. I take good care of my truck so I can imagine it could be from not cleaning the seat. Do you think warranty will cover this? It goes in weds so I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I already have 30k on my truck so my warranty is about up. Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails Leather seat problem-image-1500099066.jpg   Leather seat problem-image-2100253084.jpg   Leather seat problem-image-955798375.jpg  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Go to a shoe repair store (a cobbler) and ask for a little leather touch up.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the nature of leather. I have 33K miles on my FX4 with stone leather and it's starting to wear slightly.

I had Katzkin Tuscanny (King Ranch) leather in my '06 FX4 Screw which held up better than the Ford factory leather, but where the edges wore I used a furniture marker to touch the "white" spots up.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Putting Panic n Hispanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That same sh?t happened to my 2010 Lariat 14K miles. I went to the dealer to show them the leather to which they had their regional manager take a look at it. He agreed it was defective and will have it taken care of. Mine started like that and eventually started to run along the creases of the leather when you sat down.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 643 Likes on 299 Posts

Before I had my Platinum dark brown "black" leather changed out to real Katzkin black aftermarket, thanks to a dealer ordering SNAFU, I asked a LOT of questions regarding the quality of the factory vs. aftermarket leather. Here is what i found out and what seems to be the case that is effecting your seats. (BTW, there is also claims that Katzkin is the OEM supplier of the leather seats these days!?)

The factory leather is SPRAYED with the color you get, and then a "protective coat" is put over that. That is also why many tell you that leather conditioner is not needed, except on the KR.

On the aftermarket that I got, they VAT DYE the leather to the color, which will minimize the spot lifting and fading, like you have going on...may have been some spots on the leather before the color was applied. According to sources, the aftermarket is also equal or better quality leather to start with. Factory leather supposedly is that way because of cost savings...again cant verify that, but it is the tale I was told.

As noted, that is kinda the fate with any leather interior (wear marks, creases, etc.) but hey, we still like it a LOT and the warranty should make it right, if it starts flaking or losing color so soon!!
The following users liked this post:
hinglemccringleberry (01-05-2023)
Old 02-18-2015, 04:49 PM

Default 2014 f150 lariat super cab owner

Originally Posted by rkfvd3
I noticed that my leather driver seat had tiny white spots on the edge a few weeks ago and I just thought it was a stain or something. When I looked closer I noticed the white spots were where the leather had "chipped" off. Has anyone had this happen? I'm not worried about the cracks in the leather bc that is just part of having leather. I take good care of my truck so I can imagine it could be from not cleaning the seat. Do you think warranty will cover this? It goes in weds so I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I already have 30k on my truck so my warranty is about up. Thanks for the help
Premature wear on lariat leather seat on driver's at 5000miles, spot similar to yours, but a lot worse. Ford replaced the cover, NC. Starting to do the same thing at 11000.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:21 PM

Default Same problem

Originally Posted by rkfvd3
I have the same problem with my 2013 F150. Ford has replaced the cover four times. Waiting for approval for the fifth. Thet will replace until warranty is up and then we are on our own.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I wish that was my problem. Mine look like bed sheets after a restless night of sleep. Huge lumps and wrinkles and it only has 15k miles. Pretty disappointing! Maybe I'll bring mine in. Seems like a lot of you have had luck with getting it replaced!
Old 11-05-2015, 05:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe the colors make a difference? I'm over 300 lbs and don't have side steps and my leather looks great(knock on wood). 2011 with 40k miles and black leather.
The following users liked this post:
vtoy1 (01-07-2017)
Old 11-10-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hijoe69
I have the same problem with my 2013 F150. Ford has replaced the cover four times. Waiting for approval for the fifth. Thet will replace until warranty is up and then we are on our own.

Dang, that's crazy but great they are replacing them. After the warranty you might want to look at getting some Clazzio's seat covers.

Quick Reply: Leather seat problem