Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lariat Grilles and Plastidip

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lariat Grilles and Plastidip

Have any of your Lariat owners plastidiped the mesh section of the grilles leaving the chrome outlines? curious to see how it turned out for you before deciding to spend the time doing it. Share pictures if you don't mind.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try to get a picture this afternoon after work. I plasti-dipped my mesh part and left the chrome. I think it totally changed how the front end looked. I just taped it all off with painters tape and paper and put down some plastic behind it in front of the radiator to stop overspray. I just took mine out this past weekend to play in the mud and I will tel you, plasti-dip doesn't clean easy unless you can actually rub it and clean it. Just spraying it off won't work.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by rharkcom
I will try to get a picture this afternoon after work. I plasti-dipped my mesh part and left the chrome. I think it totally changed how the front end looked. I just taped it all off with painters tape and paper and put down some plastic behind it in front of the radiator to stop overspray. I just took mine out this past weekend to play in the mud and I will tel you, plasti-dip doesn't clean easy unless you can actually rub it and clean it. Just spraying it off won't work.
Thanks, that would be awesome. I'm not gonna be in the mud much, but that's a good heads up because of all the snow and slush. May be something to re do at the start of every summer.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

Why use plastidip on the mesh? I can see the advantage of using it on something you might want to peel off later, but you'll never be able to peel all that off easily will you? I think a regular paint would perform better and hold up to bugs, stones, etc better, and also hold up heavy cleaning when needed. I'm not an expert on either one, so I'm just wondering why you plan to use plastidip.
Thanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
5.0 Powaaa

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure if that is what your looking for?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ford850
Why use plastidip on the mesh? I can see the advantage of using it on something you might want to peel off later, but you'll never be able to peel all that off easily will you? I think a regular paint would perform better and hold up to bugs, stones, etc better, and also hold up heavy cleaning when needed. I'm not an expert on either one, so I'm just wondering why you plan to use plastidip.
Thanks.
Cheaper then painting it... easier to do then paiting it... I don't have time to paint it my self so it would mean taking it to a bodyshop to do. And thats big bucks... besides, if it doesn't turn out I'll buy chrome billet inserts and I won't get the chrome mesh contrast through it. It would look too busy. But that's the back up.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I had it all cleaned up last night and it rained....so here are some dirty pics. It wasn't that bad to clean last night. I took a microfiber towel on one finger and just fingered each hole...took a few minutes but it cleaned the plasti-dip right up.
Attached Thumbnails Lariat Grilles and Plastidip-dsc_0206.jpg  
Old 02-27-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by raz59
Cheaper then painting it... easier to do then paiting it... I don't have time to paint it my self so it would mean taking it to a bodyshop to do. And thats big bucks... besides, if it doesn't turn out I'll buy chrome billet inserts and I won't get the chrome mesh contrast through it. It would look too busy. But that's the back up.
I meant paint it with a rattle can of paint rather than a rattle can of plastidip.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by rharkcom
Well I had it all cleaned up last night and it rained....so here are some dirty pics. It wasn't that bad to clean last night. I took a microfiber towel on one finger and just fingered each hole...took a few minutes but it cleaned the plasti-dip right up.
You did what to each hole?

Thanks for the pic, looks killer! I can actually enjoy my lariat grille if I make it look like yours.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgut12

Not sure if that is what your looking for?
Nice looking truck! Kinda wish my wasn't a STX now.

Quick Reply: Lariat Grilles and Plastidip