Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ladder racks with a Tonneau Cover. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ladder racks with a Tonneau Cover. Ideas?

I have somewhat of a unique problem. I need a ladder rack that can work with a Tonneau cover.
My original plan was to use those aluminum “Y” shaped racks that slide into the stake holes on the top of the bed rails which would allow my Tonneau cover to protect my truck bed so long as the Tonneau is the type which does not cover the bedrails.
I have since been informed by the aftermarket truck parts dealer that the steel in the modern trucks is not as durable as in older models (mine’s a 2011) and that the stake holes in the bed will not support the weight of the “Y” racks and ladder causing damage to the bed of the truck.
The modern “Y” racks are attached inside the bed in modern trucks which obviously will not work with a tonneau.
Any ideas? What options are there to cover the bed and carry a ladder?
Please keep in mind that I would only need the ladder racks part time so the fullsize frame having something easy to store when not in use is important
Photos will be especially appreciated. thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

From a previous post of mine:

Bak makes a track rack type system but you need special bakflip rails for the rack too. Thule makes a much sturdier aluminum track rack though, called TracRac G2. According to Bak, they will work together but a special model is needed for rack. There's a thread on here about it somewhere too. I was considering that combo because I really liked the TracRac from Thule. Here's a question and answer from the Bak site about this:
Q: Will a BakFlip F1 fit with a Thule TracRac G2 system on a 2011 F150 with a 6 1/2′ bed? I’ve heard conflicting answers on this. If it will work, please provide the product number for the F1 that fits with the Thule TracRac. Thanks.
A: BAK, in conjunction with Thule, has developed a bracket kit that allows you to mount your Thule rack slightly wider than normal. This allows you to use the rack and the BakFlip at the same time. It’s pretty cool. Your best bet is to reach out to Charly@bakliner.com and ask him to assist you. Charly has been instrumental in spearheading this project and will be able to steer you in the right direction.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/ladder...akflip-132409/
Old 02-17-2012, 12:53 PM

I am also curious if anybody has used the stake holes to support a ladder or something similar in weight in a 2011 or 2012?
Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Palmetto Pride

Received 198 Likes on 152 Posts

Here's my rack system made by Prorac. I have the sport rack but they make one that sits above the cab too.
Attached Thumbnails Ladder racks with a Tonneau Cover. Ideas?-image-3684661384.jpg   Ladder racks with a Tonneau Cover. Ideas?-image-4105929129.jpg   Ladder racks with a Tonneau Cover. Ideas?-image-1940267608.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Moody,
Is this a combo Rack and Tonneau cover, or can it work independently with any "in the rail" type tonneau? Nice truck BTW
Originally Posted by Moody Blue
Here's my rack system made by Prorac. I have the sport rack but they make one that sits above the cab too.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

If you want something really heavy duty: check out the diamondback:

http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/accessories/

(no personal interest, I looked at these but ended up with a roll-n-lock)
Old 02-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Palmetto Pride

Received 198 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 11SCREWBall
Moody,
Is this a combo Rack and Tonneau cover, or can it work independently with any "in the rail" type tonneau? Nice truck BTW
They are separate. Bought them as a set so I got a good deal from the place It came from. It will work with most in the rail style covers though. Their website lists the compatible covers. http://www.prorac.com/softtonneau.php
Old 08-29-2012, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ladder/Kayak Rack

There is a rack called Adarac that is suppused to mount to the rails and not interfere with covers.

The company that makes it made my roll-up cover that has been excellent.

Video:
Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.invisarack.com
This will be manufactured by DEE ZEE supposed to be available in October
I'm not sure what tonneau will work with this, but it sure solves the parttime rack requirements issue.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Moody Blue

They are separate. Bought them as a set so I got a good deal from the place It came from. It will work with most in the rail style covers though. Their website lists the compatible covers. http://www.prorac.com/softtonneau.php
I've been looking at getting one of these. They are pricy for what they are.

Quick Reply: Ladder racks with a Tonneau Cover. Ideas?