Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key things to check when test driving used

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 02:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Key things to check when test driving used

Testing out a '13 3.5 gtdi Screw Fx4 Max tow 3.73 rear end...

35k miles on it.

What do I really need to go over besides the shudder from a stop when it comes to these trucks?

Much appreciated!!

Last edited by TongueInTeeth; 04-08-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I start with carfax, it's not perfect but shows ownership history. Is it from your area? Ask for the previous owners phone number.

Then look at the underside for any corrosion (frame, body, suspension)

then under the hood, check the bolts that hold the fenders on, if the paint is disturbed then it's had front end damage

Is it from a dealer? Are the brakes new? Oil changed? tires dry rotted?

Any wind noise on the test drive? Another sign of body damage.

Then just the overall condition of interior, stains, smells, etc...
Old 04-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Historical Indifference

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TongueInTeeth
Testing out a '13 3.5 gtdi Screw Fx4 Max tow 3.73 rear end...

35k miles on it.

What do I really need to go over besides the shudder from a stop when it comes to these trucks?

Much appreciated!!
The usual problem with "clunk"
Noise from the front hub area that changes when shifting into 4wd.
Problems with sync

Do a quick refresher through the list of TSBs for addition ideas. Some may not apply.

Any obvious modifications, good or bad. Some aftermarket stereo upgrades can be problematic.

Make sure it has the options that you want.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Historical Indifference

Third brake light leakage. So look for stains in the headliner.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

1st thing I always looked for when buying used was rust, next would be underneath for any leaks, if both of those visual inspections passed, then I would test drive.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Historical Indifference

Originally Posted by TongueInTeeth
Testing out a '13 3.5 gtdi Screw Fx4 Max tow 3.73 rear end... 35k miles on it.

I kinda thought OP was looking for F150 specific problems, especially as it applies to his potential "new to him" truck.

There are plenty of "Used car buying checklists", just have to google.
"What to look for when buying a used car"
"used car buying tips"
Prolly don't need to link to them...

Also google turned up a couple of pointers to some past posts about buying a used F 150 and a used Ecoboost.

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/what-co...oboost-287392/

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/things...oboost-325698/

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/buying...t-115k-263697/

Hope this helps... and let us know what you end up getting.
The following users liked this post:
TongueInTeeth (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by robotdog
I kinda thought OP was looking for F150 specific problems, especially as it applies to his potential "new to him" truck.
Perhaps, I tend to not assume what someone is thinking when they post a question other than information specific to the question, if there are other details required, they are more than welcome to ask.

Or are you psychic? If so I'd like next weeks powerball numbers, thanks in advanced.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Historical Indifference

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Perhaps, I tend to not assume what someone is thinking when they post a question other than information specific to the question, if there are other details required, they are more than welcome to ask.

Or are you psychic? If so I'd like next weeks powerball numbers, thanks in advanced.
Actually, I am psychic. However, I'm not just going to give you the numbers to the next powerball. That would just dilute my winnings. And besides there is a strategy to knowing the PB numbers in advance. You can't use them all the time, too much suspicion. You have to work it over time with trusted compatriots.

As for the assumption part, I tend to agree. And after re-reading the Title and the Content/Body of the post, I can see where responders get the "general" aspect. I chose to take in the fact that it was in this particular forum and it mentioned an exact year and model with certain features, and proceeded to list items that applied.

Linking back to the other times people have asked was really just a nudge in a certain direction, without getting all persnickety.
The following 2 users liked this post by robotdog:
finkle (04-08-2017), TongueInTeeth (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by robotdog
Actually, I am psychic. However, I'm not just going to give you the numbers to the next powerball. That would just dilute my winnings. And besides there is a strategy to knowing the PB numbers in advance. You can't use them all the time, too much suspicion. You have to work it over time with trusted compatriots.

As for the assumption part, I tend to agree. And after re-reading the Title and the Content/Body of the post, I can see where responders get the "general" aspect. I chose to take in the fact that it was in this particular forum and it mentioned an exact year and model with certain features, and proceeded to list items that applied.

Linking back to the other times people have asked was really just a nudge in a certain direction, without getting all persnickety.
HAHAHA ok ya tightwad, see if I dance at your next wedding.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Before you buy it you need to be the one that starts the truck on a cold start when it has been sitting for at least 1/2 day. If you hear a bad rattle on start up, dont walk, run from the truck. My 2012 only has 39k and it did it for the first time last week. I took it into the dealership and it was my timing chain and cams. Thankfully the truck was still under warranty. Its about a $4000 repair.