Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just have to ask

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Just have to ask

Is E-85 worth it? Someone told me you drop 3 to 5 MPH. Is this true? Its just 30 cents cheaper.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If E85 is $1.75 a gallon cheaper than your regular gas per gallon it is worth it...just barely. But keep in mind...when you run E85 they suggest oil changes every 3000 miles as opposed to the 7500.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine works in engine performance development at Ford and he told me that if you plan on keeping the engine, DON"T use E-85. Engines that he's torn down to inspect using E-85 look like they have 3 times the milage, it's eco friendly and may cost less but it's hell on engines.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

a) All Ford engines, save for diesels, are E85 (flex fuel) safe.

b) Are you going to miss 3 to 5 MPHs?? Really? Ethanol has less BTUs per volume compare to the same volume of gas. Yes, E85 will have less energy available to use that un E'ed gas of the same volume.

Hug a tree. No sense running into 1.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 PM

look at it this way, if you're paying $3.00 a gallon for regular gas and getting 20mpg, losing 5 mpg means a 25% reduction so from a cash standpoint, you would have to be saving 25% on the cost (75 cents in this example).

beyond that, E85 is bad stuff. takes more fuel to produce it than it saves, drives up food cost, etc and yet the government forces its use. If the government really wanted to be green, they wouldnt. If the government cared about food cost, they wouldnt. but they care about the money from the corn lobby so they do.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by cullenkyla
Is E-85 worth it? Someone told me you drop 3 to 5 MPH. Is this true? Its just 30 cents cheaper.
just run premium and call it a day
Old 11-06-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mainerunr
beyond that, E85 is bad stuff. takes more fuel to produce it than it saves, drives up food cost, etc and yet the government forces its use. If the government really wanted to be green, they wouldnt. If the government cared about food cost, they wouldnt. but they care about the money from the corn lobby so they do.
Actually it doesnt take more energy to produce -- big oil just spread that lie because they don't want you to try any alternatives.

"No. This has been a common misconception of the ethanol industry, that it takes more energy to make ethanol than is available to the final consumer. Remember, ethanol is produced from plant matter, today dominated by corn, wheat, potatoes, sorgum, etc. Plants grow through the use of energy provided by the sun and are a renewable resources. In the future, ethanol will be produced from waste products or “energy crops.” In fact, a partner of Growth Energy Market Development, BC International (BCI), is currently constructing an ethanol production plant in Louisiana that will use sugar cane waste to produce ethanol. Additionally, BCI is considering the establishment of ethanol production facilities in California that would use the waste hulls from rice growers and wood waste from the forest industry to produce ethanol. Energy crops such as perennial switch grasses, timothy, and other high-output/low-input crops will be used in the future.

Current research prepared by Argonne National Laboratory (a U.S. Department of Energy Laboratory), indicates a 38% gain in the overall energy input/output equation for the corn-to-ethanol process. That is, if 100 BTUs of energy is used to plant corn, harvest the crop, transport it, etc., 138 BTUs of energy is available in the fuel ethanol. Corn yields and processing technologies have improved significantly over the past 20 years and they continue to do so, making ethanol production less and less energy intensive."
Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 PM

Yep....the salesmen filled my truck when I bought it. I know he used E85...and I would venture to say you lose more than just 5 mpg. I am in agreement with just run the good stuff!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by mindwarp
Actually it doesnt take more energy to produce -- big oil just spread that lie because they don't want you to try any alternatives.

If this is the case...why are we not seeing a bigger price difference? Why is Ethanol not a lot more reasonable in price? I am not arguing with you on this...as I try to keep an open mind. Just what I feel is a fair question.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4ford
Yep....the salesmen filled my truck when I bought it. I know he used E85...and I would venture to say you lose more than just 5 mpg. I am in agreement with just run the good stuff!
131,000 BTUs are needed to make one gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 BTUS. Thus, 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in it. Every time you make one gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 BTUs.
Ethanol from corn costs about $1.74 per gallon to produce, compared with about 95 cents to produce a gallon of gasoline.
If all the automobiles in the United States were fueled with 100 percent ethanol, a total of about 97 percent of U.S. land area would be needed to grow the corn feedstock. Corn would cover nearly the total land area of the United States.
Also, according to http://www.farmgate.uiuc.edu/archive..._us_gover.html

A major part of the ethanol industry is the governmental subsidy of 51˘ per gallon that petroleum blenders receive in the form of a tax credit.
So figuring you paid taxes, you paid that 51 cents already. Now it cost you more and got you less. Great idea.