Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent oil pressure on 2012 Platinum Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Intermittent oil pressure on 2012 Platinum Ecoboost

I wanted to post this to help out anyone that needs to replace the oil pressure sending unit on a ecoboost. My is a 2012 Platinum Ecoboost and the oil pressure started dropping to zero when I'd stop and then back to normal as soon as I touched the gas. I checked the oil and everything was ok so I figured it was the oil pressure sending unit going bad. I got a quote from a local garage of around $130 to replace it so I guessed it was a simple fix. The problem is getting to the thing to fix it. I couldn't find anything online that was any help at all other than some people saying it's easiest accessed by removing the drivers front wheel. Maybe on a 2 wheel drive that's the case but on a 4x4 it's totally inaccessible from the driver's wheel well. The sending unit located on the driver's side of the engine, behind the oil filter and above the front differential. It is completely inaccessible from below because of the diff, or from the side because it's directly behind the frame. The only way to it is from the top and it's a pain.

Here's what I had to do:
Jack up the front and remove the metal splash guard and place a drip pan right behind the front differential. Oil's going to come out and run down the back of the differential, not much but enough to make a mess. You'll need a 13mm socket and ratchet for this.

Remove the air duct going from the air cleaner to the two ducts downstream from it. Just loosen the three hose clamps and wiggle it loose and set it aside. You'll need to get your arm down through there to reach the sending unit.

Remove the plastic engine cover to give you a better view down into the engine. Just remove the oil filler cap and the whole thing lifts up and out.

Next you'll want to get up on the bumper with a flashlight and look down the side if the engine just even with were the dipstick is and see if you can spot the sending unit. It's down at the bottom of the engine just behind the alternator. It's a white plug with one wire running to it. This what you need to remove.

You have to reach down from in front of the engine, where you removed the air duct, and reach back until you get your hand on it. To removed the plug find the flat side and press it in with your thumb and pull the plug off. This was easier for me than I thought it would be.

To remove the sending unit itself you'll need a 13/16 open end wrench, or maybe a ratcheting wrench if you have one. You can't really use a deep-well socket and ratchet because there's not enough room between the unit and the frame to get it seated. I'd recommend a stubby wrench if you have one. Mine was a standard 13/16 length and it was tough to use because limited space. Once you get the wrench on there it's a simple matter etting the old one out and the new one in, but it is a tight squeeze and there's one particular bracket that's digs into your arm the whole time you're working on it.

Once the new one is in just button everything back up and have a beer. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent oil pressure on 2012 Platinum Ecoboost-out.jpg   Intermittent oil pressure on 2012 Platinum Ecoboost-engine-top.jpg   Intermittent oil pressure on 2012 Platinum Ecoboost-sending-unit.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by ahardin:
Blondie70 (05-03-2020), rrabu (12-10-2023)
Old 05-02-2020, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you ! Thank you!
Yup, arm is all tore up but the sensor is replaced.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much!! Your pics were better than all the videos on youtube.

Quick Reply: Intermittent oil pressure on 2012 Platinum Ecoboost