Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Expert main pipe

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Interior smell

Hello everyone,
I recently bought a 2010 F150 SCrew and the previous owner would be accompanied by his pet. I believe he was a smoker also. This truck has an interior smell too it. The smell is not really that bad but it is noticeable and I believe I have a small allergic reaction to it because it makes me sneeze. This model year did not come with a cabin air filter. I already poured baking soda all over it twice. Once I left the baking soda sitting overnight and the second time I left it a whole week sitting inside the truck. The smell is still there and I want to get rid of it. Im also thinking the source of the smell is the AC system. Do you all have any hacks or recommend a way to get rid of the smell?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Big Mike

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by J_lope82
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a 2010 F150 SCrew and the previous owner would be accompanied by his pet. I believe he was a smoker also. This truck has an interior smell too it. The smell is not really that bad but it is noticeable and I believe I have a small allergic reaction to it because it makes me sneeze. This model year did not come with a cabin air filter. I already poured baking soda all over it twice. Once I left the baking soda sitting overnight and the second time I left it a whole week sitting inside the truck. The smell is still there and I want to get rid of it. Im also thinking the source of the smell is the AC system. Do you all have any hacks or recommend a way to get rid of the smell?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend getting the carpet, seats, headliner, seat belts, and anything that would hold on odor cleaned/steamed. Baking soda probably helped a little, but it is bound to leave lingering odors behind. Once everything is completely dry, I would use an ozone machine to remove the remaining odor if still applicable. An interior scent would not hurt after these steps have been done. You may have to repeat these steps depending on desired results. I had to do this with my 2014 F150 as the previous owner was a smoker.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

till you get ac coil and heater core cleaned yo are not going to get rid of it. nicotine will coat everything and you are just recirculating the smell.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:40 PM

Received 316 Likes on 228 Posts

I had some fajitas spilled in my truck and did everything I could to get the smell out. Finally bought a big jug of activated carbon and filled 4 old socks with it and put one under each seat and I've never had any smells since. I hate air fresheners, they are gross.

A detail shop should be able to clean the a/c system.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by white08gt
till you get ac coil and heater core cleaned yo are not going to get rid of it. nicotine will coat everything and you are just recirculating the smell.
I actually never thought of that. My truck smelled like IT smoked a pack a day. It seems to have subsided a year later but it may be I'm just use to it lol. I tried even getting one of those charcoal bags which, I believe, helped a bit.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Expert main pipe

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by white08gt
what are the ways to clean the ac and heater cores?

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2019, 11:15 PM

Received 246 Likes on 196 Posts

Similar issue.

Buy a can of original Ozium.

Put on recirc and suck in about five seconds.

Turn off and leave overnight.

A few times and it will all be good.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Had an old car that was horrible with cigarette smell, rented an ozone generator for about $50. I ran in the car with AC/Heat on for awhile and left in car overnight. Did a great job at getting rid of smell.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Received 462 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugo Pinkman
Absolutely agree, nicotine smell will stay forever lol, even from an e-cig . I am a heavy smoker, never smoke or vape indoors or in a car, but the clothes smells so strong that everyone in car can feel it, and the car stinks adequately.
Vape's won't leave a smell.

Been vaping in my vehicles for 4 years now, and it's never once left any type of odor.

It's one of the benefits of vaping over smoking.

It will leave a film on the windows that is easily removed, but that's about it.

Quick Reply: Interior smell