Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got new Studded tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Alaskan by Choice

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Default I got new Studded tires

It really warmed up here in Anchorage last friday and alot of snow melted then refroze as ice on the road. So I slid about 70' through into an intersection (luckily I was able to steer into a snow bank before hitting anybody), I was only going about 15mph as I approached and began sliding. I had been holding out on studded tires...but no more, after changing my shorts I drove to the tire shop and picked up a set of Hankook I-Pike RW11 studded tires in the factory size of 275/55R20. This is the only studded tire available in this size (at least the only one I could find in two months of looking).
Attached Thumbnails I got new Studded tires-studded-tire-tread.jpg   I got new Studded tires-studded-tire-side.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 01:27 PM
HMFIC

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This coming from a complete Southerner... I would have expected to see a lot more studs on there. Is that pretty much normal?
Why not use chains?
(again, i don't drive in the snow/ice, so forgive the dumb questions)

Btw, "after changing my shorts". LOL
Old 12-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Chain are a pain to install, rough to ride on, damage roads even more and damage your vehicle when they break. Plus you are limited to about 35mph.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Squishy Heads

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree for everyday use studs are the way to go, but for me here in VA where I need to be at work even if it's a blizzard, chains FTW! It doesn't snow often, but when it does.. I need to be at work.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Alaskan by Choice

Originally Posted by Knot@Work
This coming from a complete Southerner... I would have expected to see a lot more studs on there. Is that pretty much normal?
Why not use chains?
(again, i don't drive in the snow/ice, so forgive the dumb questions)

Btw, "after changing my shorts". LOL

This is my 11th winter in Alaska, probably my 4th set of studded tires. These are pretty "normal" so far as the amount of studs. I once manually removed the studs from a set of BFG Commercial KO and they had 106 studs each. Sipping and durometer of the rubber is almost as important as the studs. Chains are first and foremost a pain in the *****, secondly, chains would destroy the tires if left on for the entire winter. Yes, I have a set, but will only use them if I need to get unstuck. A good set of winter tires (non-studded) would be fine if it was just a little snow every now and then but, we get "sheet ice" on the road up here in lots of places. I have posted it before and stand by it now...The stock pirelli tires SUCK for winter driving. I had been using 4WD continiously, now i'm back in 2WD and MPG is going right back up.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Alaskan by Choice

Originally Posted by bradseabridge
I agree for everyday use studs are the way to go, but for me here in VA where I need to be at work even if it's a blizzard, chains FTW! It doesn't snow often, but when it does.. I need to be at work.

Yep, I got one of those jobs too. I run a water plant and 35,000 depend on me for there cup of morning coffee and the "first flush" in the morning. My plant is 3 miles up a road that is always the last to be plowed because nothing else is there. Funny thing, weather is not an excuse for us, however, a moose in the front yard is. Nobody wants to get stomped.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

What is this white powder you speak of?
Old 12-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Alaskan by Choice

Originally Posted by jcain
What is this white powder you speak of?

this.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Neat
Old 12-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice tires! I just installed the same on my 11 platinum, studded as well. I debated putting studs in them, but I don't think I'll regret it!

Quick Reply: I got new Studded tires