Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to proceed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to proceed

New to the forum, I'm absolutely in love with my 2013 f-150 4x4 screw ecoboost longbed, however, I've grown weary and tired of rental cars. What I love about the truck is that it's the most comfortable truck I've owned, and the turbos make mountain driving a breeze. (Truck is completely stock)

Background:
I Bought certified pre-owned last February with 1400 miles on it.
Unfortunately, this truck is losing my confidence. Since purchase, it's air condition has been worked on twice, with the third time resulting in a compressor change. The transmission rebuilt and on a separate visit, the valve body replaced. Tail light replaced, Two door locks stopped functioning. Hood latch broke, and speakers replaced. Yet to address is that earlier this year, I lost all acceleration while leaving my work. Out of no-where it regained normal acceleration. I have been unable to duplicate this, so bringing up to the dealership won't yield any results. I'm in a first name basis with enterprise rent a car and have been given rentals from them on ten separate occasions. Good news, as of now, ford is covering the rentals

Good news
my ford dealership has been exceptional in resolving the aforementioned issues and I can't thank them enough for there help. Unfortunately, I'm in need of advice. I bought a travel trailer that weighs in at 6,600 pounds configured. My setup, 3.73 rear end, 157" wheelbase with max tow allows for 11,100 tow capacity and I'm overheating towing my trailer. At one point I could only maintain approx 40 mph on an 65 mph road, fearing a semi was going to hit me. Finally making it to my destination, my truck gave me a p0299 (turbo underboost) with a whooping 5 miles per gallon trip. [flat ground I pulled at 65mph]. The entire trip,was made in tow haul mode. I dropped my truck off with ford, and they had to elevate the concern to higher. At their request, I have brought them certified weigh tickets for both my truck and trailer. They verified everything was functional and that the truck was supposed to be able to tow the trailer with no issues. The turbo was normal and are awaiting answers from higher on what to do. I drove my truck yesterday and threw another underboost.
I love the customer service I have experienced with ford, and definintely believe they will make this right,

Question:
what happens when the dealership is out of repair ideas? I bought a trailer, based off the published towing guide, and upgrading to a diesel wasn't in the financial plans at the time of purchase. I'm now concerned my family vacation plans this summer are going to be put on hold since I'm not sure if I can safely use my trailer. Thank you all for your insight
Old 06-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

CAMO, I suggest you put this question into the "2009 - 2014 F-150" section of the forum. hopefully you'll get some good help from the Ecoboost owners. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Usually, if the dealer cannot figure it out, they will escalate it to Ford or their regional reps. These trucks should have no issue maintaining speed up a mountain while towing. Check out the Fast Lane reviews--the Ecoboosts can easily exceed the speed limit on their tests.

There is an obvious problem with the truck--it is good that Ford is being nice but they need to go a bit beyond "nice" and fix your truck.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Received 1,689 Likes on 591 Posts

Moved to 2009-2014 section. Good luck OP!
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (06-06-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 216 Likes on 123 Posts

Welcome to life with an Ecoboost. Like you, I was duped by the hype of this engine as well. I have a 4,000 pound trailer that my truck struggles to pull in virtually all scenarios. Dealers say it is normal for this truck to not pull well. I have been very disappointed with the Ecohype engine. Unfortunately I am not in a financial position to sell this thing so I am stuck with it for the foreseeable future. I feel your pain. If you can afford it, dump the Eco and look for a clean 6.2. It will be a challenge, I wanted a 6.2 and settled on the Ecohype because I couldn't find a 6.2 that wasn't a loaded Platinum.
The following users liked this post:
MrLunchbox (06-08-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Thank you for directing this to the right spot

QUOTE=Lenn;5343151]Moved to 2009-2014 section. Good luck OP![/QUOTE]
Old 06-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Check plugs and gap them right, ensure coils and boots are functioning right. Drill hole in intercooler if necessary.

Check all vaccuum lines, intercooler pipes and other lines for cracks or leaks or just not hooked up right. Underboost would either be from the turbos making a certainly amount or the ECM commanding a certain amount, but the MAP sensor on top of the intake manifold is not seeing that boost level. It could also be the MAP sensor itself is bad. You can also just clean it and oftentimes that will fix it.

Obviously it is not towing right if it is having underboost issues. It needs the turbos and that positive pressure to be able to tow well.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:40 PM

So working with a Ford this morning they said I had an intermittent stuck bypass valve. I will be able to tell tommorrow if this fixes the towing issue....
Old 06-05-2017, 10:51 PM

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

I hope it's the root cause and your problems are behind you, let us know.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:46 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Missmy06
Welcome to life with an Ecoboost. Like you, I was duped by the hype of this engine as well. I have a 4,000 pound trailer that my truck struggles to pull in virtually all scenarios. Dealers say it is normal for this truck to not pull well. I have been very disappointed with the Ecohype engine. Unfortunately I am not in a financial position to sell this thing so I am stuck with it for the foreseeable future. I feel your pain. If you can afford it, dump the Eco and look for a clean 6.2. It will be a challenge, I wanted a 6.2 and settled on the Ecohype because I couldn't find a 6.2 that wasn't a loaded Platinum.
You never did answer my questions in the other thread you were whining in.