Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you wash and wax

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you wash and wax

First new thread for me , I just picked up my 2012 F150 SCREW EB Blue Flame 2 Tone with Max Tow on Thursday.

What do you truck lovers do to wash and wax your rides? What are your favourite products? I heard Collinite 845 is pretty Kick-A**.

I apologize if there has been a thread on this already, im still learning how forums work.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I wash my truck with Optimum No Rinse. You pour some in a bucket of water and use a microfiber sponge to clean and dry one panel at a time. You don't have to use any other water.

It's a nice product to use if your city is under mandatory water restrictions and you can't use a hose on your truck without the water police coming down on you.

I haven't had to wax my truck yet.. it's barely 3 months old.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 AM
FishingJunkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm no detailing expert like some others that will comment on this topic, but the basics I've always used and have worked out well as far as washing goes:
-wash in a cool place, ie not in direct sunlight
-wash one section, then rinse so you don't have soap starting to dry
-rinsing is very important so be thorough
-use a good quality wash mitt and drying leather
-always start washing and rinsing top-bottom
Old 06-26-2012, 11:53 AM
'11 FX4 SCREW 5.ohh!

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

I've never used their products, so no opinion about them, but I have watched a few of their videos and they are decent.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/
Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx
I wash my truck with Optimum No Rinse. You pour some in a bucket of water and use a microfiber sponge to clean and dry one panel at a time. You don't have to use any other water.

It's a nice product to use if your city is under mandatory water restrictions and you can't use a hose on your truck without the water police coming down on you.

I haven't had to wax my truck yet.. it's barely 3 months old.
Even your new truck requires waxing unless the dealer waxed it during PDI. I can tell you they only use detailing wax to make it look good for delivery.

Just sayin...
Old 06-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IronJoce
Even your new truck requires waxing unless the dealer waxed it during PDI. I can tell you they only use detailing wax to make it look good for delivery.

Just sayin...
Good to know.. I just assumed they came waxed.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ICBM99
I've never used their products, so no opinion about them, but I have watched a few of their videos and they are decent.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/
I use nothing but their products and I can assure you that you will find nothing better
Old 06-26-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

You need to stay away from some wash mitts. The best to use is genuine sheep wool wash mitt or a microfiber cloth. Don't use an old T shirt, bath towel, etc. Those types of fabrics will hold onto the dirt and will not release it when put in a bucket of water like sheep's wool or microfiber will do. If your rag is saturated with dirt, you are essentially sanding your paint with sand paper. Also, this is why I don't ever go through automatic car washes. This dirt is what causes a spider web like marred finish that requires you to repolish your clear coat to correct. To alleviate this, you can also do a 2 bucket wash method with grit guards at the bottom of each bucket. Meaning you first rinse your rag in one bucket, then rinse in the other before going back to washing. Same goes for drying, either air dry with a leaf blower or use a microfiber cloth. Shammy clothes and products like "The absorber" will also sand your finish if there is dirt left on the vehicle after washing. As far as wax, I use 845 for it's durability, applied with a porter cable 7424xp. I plan on doing it twice a year, spring and fall.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to YouTube and put in; 2 bucket wash method, That'll get you started in the right direction.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 126 Likes on 37 Posts

I learned a lot from this...

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
The following users liked this post:
780-F150 (06-26-2012)

Quick Reply: How do you wash and wax