Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to: 2013 ecoboost oil and air filter change

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Insolent Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Default How to: 2013 ecoboost oil and air filter change

So maybe some of you want to turn your own wrench and do some basic maintenance on your truck but are not sure how so I did a little step by step in case you want to tackle it on your own. I personally hate going to the dealer and I am definitely not going to a jiffy lube or equivalent plus I still love working on my own vehicles. Start to finish this took me 27 minutes and this is taking my time drinking a beer and taking pictures. This can be done without jacking up the truck or putting it on ramps.

The following is for oil and air filter change

Tools required:
15mm wrench or socket - Oil pan drain plug
Flathead screwdriver - Intake hose clamp

Optional tools:
Oil filter wrench - Have never needed one
13mm wrench or socket - Skidplate
Gloves - I don't like getting dirty
Beer of your choice

Parts required:
6 quarts of 5w-30 oil - I used redline 5w30 oil
Oil filter - I used wix 57502
Air filter - I used AEM drop in 28-20385
Oil drain pan or bucket of some sort

Ok here we go...

Step 1 (optional) - I like getting the stupid skidplate out the way because it takes two minutes and makes everything easier. 3 black plastic clips and 4 13mm bolts and off it goes:

Off she goes:

Loosen the drain plug easily accessed behind the front passenger side wheel and place your drain pan under it. Loosen with your 15mm wrench or socket and stay out of the splash zone:

This is where I crack open my beer and get to changing the air filter while oil drains. There are 3 clips to undo on the airbox plus loosening one hose clamp to take the top of the airbox off:

Out with the old:

Empty:

New air filter installed:

Last edited by lariut; 09-25-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Insolent Member

Put the airbox lid back on, fasten three clamps and tighten the hose clamp. Look back under your truck and the oil should be almost drained so get to work on getting the oil filter off. Twist the four white ***** on the driver side and pull the dirtcover out of the way. The oil filter is located on the lower front portion of the engine on the driver's side:

Twist the old filter off counterclockwise and make sure the rubber gasket comes off with it (oil will spill out of here as well):

I put a light coat of oil on the new filter gasket so I don't have to wrestle the oil filter off on my next oil change:

Put the new oil filter on handtight, tighten the oil drain plug, put the skidplate back on, and pour the 6 quarts of oil into the engine.

Start your truck and let it run a couple minutes, park on a level surface and let the truck sit for a couple minutes, check for any leaks and check the oil level to make sure it's good to go. Congratulations, you just passed shadetree mechanic 101!

Any questions or suggestions the pros might wanna add feel free!

Edit: Also don't forget to reset the oil life monitor on your truck's "productivity" screen when you're done.

Last edited by lariut; 09-25-2013 at 06:48 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by lariut:
alvio_ramon (10-25-2013), avvblanc01 (10-09-2013), dirt_dobber (09-26-2013), moseby (09-28-2013), PARIAH (10-25-2013), Sammy77 (10-25-2013), shimmer (09-25-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Nice writeup! Thanks for taking the time to shoot the pics. Appreciate the lighting! Nice to be able to see what's what in the photos. Good clear instructions, in order too! Very helpful. Might tackle the next one myself!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 187 Likes on 125 Posts

I end up with oil left on the plastic diverter/cup/catch-thingy under the filter. Doesn't drain no matter what I do so I have to clean it out by hand. The Ecoboost oil change ranks pretty high on the "What was Ford thinking!" list. Also, on my 2011 I have a diaper under the middle of the truck that has to come off. Do the '13's not have this? I would like to have had a writeup like this for my 2011 the first time!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Insolent Member

Originally Posted by FX4Dennis
I end up with oil left on the plastic diverter/cup/catch-thingy under the filter. Doesn't drain no matter what I do so I have to clean it out by hand. The Ecoboost oil change ranks pretty high on the "What was Ford thinking!" list. Also, on my 2011 I have a diaper under the middle of the truck that has to come off. Do the '13's not have this? I would like to have had a writeup like this for my 2011 the first time!
The 13s do have the diaper but I lost the diaper and front air dam the first day I owned the truck.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:52 PM

That explains it!

What do you suppose the "T" shaped small plate in the skid plate is for? I tried removing mine thinking I might get easy access to the filter without removing the plate and broke the clips. I just welded it in place (after removing from the truck).
Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Insolent Member

Originally Posted by jgohlke
Nice writeup! Thanks for taking the time to shoot the pics. Appreciate the lighting! Nice to be able to see what's what in the photos. Good clear instructions, in order too! Very helpful. Might tackle the next one myself!
No problem. I noticed people posting about changing the oil on these trucks like it was some huge ordeal. So I took the time to post the step by step for those intimidated about doing their own work.

I would much rather do it myself than the 19 year old parts monkey making $9/hr who would do it at the dealer who could care less about you or your truck.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Insolent Member

Originally Posted by FX4Dennis
That explains it!

What do you suppose the "T" shaped small plate in the skid plate is for? I tried removing mine thinking I might get easy access to the filter without removing the plate and broke the clips I just welded it in place (after removing from the truck).
No idea lol! Maybe someone else does
Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by lariut
No problem. I noticed people posting about changing the oil on these trucks like it was some huge ordeal. So I took the time to post the step by step for those intimidated about doing their own work.

I would much rather do it myself than the 19 year old parts monkey making $9/hr who would do it at the dealer who could care less about you or your truck.
I actually got a bit pissed when I slid under my truck to change the oil the first time. Short of removing all the covers (which ultimately I do now) I had no idea where to start. I watched a video on You-tube just to find the drain plug.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:02 PM

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

The only challenging part of the job is removing/replacing the oil filter. You have to do it by feel since you can't see anything while your arm is reaching through the access hole.

It may be a good idea for those with newer trucks to soak with WD40 or oil or something the thumb fasteners used to hold the rear cover panel in place. Mine came off fine the first oil change but now almost a year later (and having gone through a midwest winter) I needed pliers to get mine off.

Quick Reply: How to: 2013 ecoboost oil and air filter change