Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Ajar Switch Connector Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Hood Ajar Switch Connector Wiring

Hey all - new F150 owner here. Just bought a 2012 King Ranch about a week ago and noticed that the factory remote start wasn't working. I researched possible causes, one of which being the hood not being latched all the way. When I went to go check the sensor, not only was it unplugged, but it appears the whole wire had been cut out!

So, I've finally tracked down a replacement connector , but I am not 100% sure where I need to wire it up to. I found only 3 wires that appear to have been cut/stumped so I was hoping someone else with a similar truck could tell me which ones it was connected to.

Here is what I found...

One wire (blue/orange) taped to the bundle of wires closest to the sensor (bottom):

2 other wires (yellow/green stripe & black/green stripe) taped together.

I have a feeling it's the green/yellow wires, but not 100% sure. The plug itself only has 2 prongs, so I'm guessing it's designed to be a closed-loop circuit.

Can anyone verify from their vehicle?

Many thanks!!
- Ronnie

Old 08-02-2018, 07:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

those wires are for the third brake light on a camper shell. How ever untape the bundle you have in your hand see if there is wires in it blk/blu and brn becuae mine are a bundle that is taped up right there
Old 08-02-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

You see that 2 wire connector attached to the plastic bracket next to the coolant degas bottle? Dunno why it's plugged there because that's a dummy plug that holds that connector for trucks not equipped with a hood switch. That is the hood switch connector, take it off that and plug it into the switch.

Here's what it should look like, pic of my truck with the switch connected.

The following users liked this post:
Ronnie Duke (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You see that 2 wire connector attached to the plastic bracket next to the coolant degas bottle? Dunno why it's plugged there because that's a dummy plug that holds that connector for trucks not equipped with a hood switch. That is the hood switch connector, take it off that and plug it into the switch.

Well hot damn! I plugged it in and now the remote start works! Saved me $135 for the Ford dealer to have to "diagnose the problem". THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
The following users liked this post:
Newbie 5 (03-13-2022)
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnie Duke
Well hot damn! I plugged it in and now the remote start works! Saved me $135 for the Ford dealer to have to "diagnose the problem". THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Happy to help.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can’t find have hood sensor cable

Originally Posted by RLXXI

mine doesnt have that connector , do you mind trace that cable down to where it was? Thank you

Quick Reply: Hood Ajar Switch Connector Wiring