Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Speed Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Highway Speed Vibration

I have a 2011 FX4 screw, 20" Pirellis. I've been having some trouble with vibration since 6000 miles, specifically after rotating the tires. I've chased around an imbalance here and there, had 2 of the tires replaced by the Pirelli rep.

The latest - I had the tires balanced at an independent shop. Zero'd out as close as possible. I returned to the Ford dealer and they said one tire was 1oz out. Strange, since they were just balanced (force balanced) the day before.

Either way, now when I hit 79-80 mph, I get a vibration in the frame/chassis. The steering wheel goes up/down and the passenger seat moves back/forward about 1". If I slow to 70, it stops. Back up to 80, restarts.

Dealer and FoMoCo have stated that this is normal and is a characteristic of the truck and refuse to do anything for me. Hard to swallow... Does anyone else have this short band vibration at highway speeds?

- Trying to assume its not tires - since the dealer "balanced" them.
- Eliminated driveshaft, put in neutral, coast decel thru 80mph, still occurs.

Anyone want to take a shot?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bj973
I have a 2011 FX4 screw, 20" Pirellis. I've been having some trouble with vibration since 6000 miles, specifically after rotating the tires. I've chased around an imbalance here and there, had 2 of the tires replaced by the Pirelli rep.

The latest - I had the tires balanced at an independent shop. Zero'd out as close as possible. I returned to the Ford dealer and they said one tire was 1oz out. Strange, since they were just balanced (force balanced) the day before.

Either way, now when I hit 79-80 mph, I get a vibration in the frame/chassis. The steering wheel goes up/down and the passenger seat moves back/forward about 1". If I slow to 70, it stops. Back up to 80, restarts.

Dealer and FoMoCo have stated that this is normal and is a characteristic of the truck and refuse to do anything for me. Hard to swallow... Does anyone else have this short band vibration at highway speeds?

- Trying to assume its not tires - since the dealer "balanced" them.
- Eliminated driveshaft, put in neutral, coast decel thru 80mph, still occurs.

Anyone want to take a shot?
I had my tires balanced and rotated by Americas tire. I have the same Pirellis you do with no vibrations after they did the work. The key is to have the tires balanced after they have been driven and not cold because they get flat spots. If your dealer let your truck sit for a long time and then balanced this could be the reason for the 1 oz. difference.

It's funny you were told they were out 1oz. My dealer just road force balanced my tires to address the steering nibble felt in the steering wheel. They said they were out 1oz. too. Thing is, the truck ran smooth as glass until I got some heat in the tires. No I have a vibration at highway speeds. I explained to the service writer what happened so now I have to go back for a rebalance...

I used to have a vibration before they were warmed up, now it he other way around.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Buz

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

20" wheels can be nearly impossible to get perfectly balanced. Too much wheel and too little tire to absorb vibrations. Good luck. I went down the 'road-force balance' road numerous times without success on my last truck. Chalked it up to the 20's. But 20's do look good!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the comments.... I'm hanging it up. I got it back from the dealer with the "theres nothing more we can do for you". Scrapping the Pirellis and going with some Nittos/Rockstars.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts

I have a very similar problem same speed 3 different sets of tires
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 PM

Makes me 2nd guess going with new tires for a fix.... is something else going on? I've isolated out the driveshaft, tires, rims....
Old 07-22-2012, 12:31 AM

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts

Yea I don't know what to do I have no faith in dealers anymore and I kept telling my self it was the road. What setup do you have? Mine is an 11 ecoboost fx4
Old 07-22-2012, 12:53 AM

2011 fx4, screw, 20" Pirellis, 5.0L.

The dealer was willing to help... but Ford was saying that it was "in spec". If it drove like this right off the lot, nobody would buy them.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

i have a vibration also. been in shop 3 times since last oil change and rotation with balance. rebalanced again not any better. the vibration i sense is hard to tell what it is. almost feels like the tranny is "hopping around" is the best i can describe. i am fed up with it and considering getting a differrent truck. tired of fighting it and really sick of the harsh ride.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

"normal", "characteristic of the truck"???
Who the hell are these guys at this dealership? There is nothing remotely close to normal about that. So what happens when you hit that speed to pass someone? Your supposed to accept that it's a paint shaker?

That's ridiculous. I can hit the limiter in my '10 and not once- even after changing stock rubber and various suspension parts- has it done anything other than float on the pavement. All these vibration threads have GOT to be an indicator of a major design flaw. It won't be too much longer before the rivets and bolts start to rattle loose. There is a balancing issue- and since it's only at higher speeds- I would look to the axels or wheels as the culprit or something in those assemblies since the tranny, tcase and mill should all hit those rpms at least once or twice during acceleration.

Quick Reply: Highway Speed Vibration