Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HID help

Just got my HIDs in the mail today from DDM Tuning. Got heads and fogs. I'm going to try and install them tomorrow. I've been reading a few threads here and there trying to figure everything out. From what it sounds like, it's pretty easy. Any suggestions or tips before I start the process would be great. And by the way its an 09
Old 01-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Palmetto Pride

Received 198 Likes on 152 Posts

Helped my brother instal some on his 09. Came with good and detailed instructions and it wasn't hard to do. Ill be installing some in my truck next week
Old 01-14-2011, 05:42 PM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

Its pretty straight forward. Do a quick search. There are TONS of threads on this. I can see Lenn closing this thread soon so do a quick search and see what you can find.

PS. this is important. If you have flickering problems you have two options...
1.) Cover the Light censor on the front middle of your dash with some electrical tape or something that won't let light through.
2.) (what I did) Go to a shop and get them to wire your Daytime Driving Lights so they run at 100% the whole time.

This is important because if you dont the DTL run at 50-80 percent power and will eventually wreck your ballasts or burn your bulbs out.
Hope this helps
Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 PM

Logan - about covering the light censor for flickering...is that if you have the lights on auto the whole time? Does covering the censor just keep the censor from faulting thus eliminating flickering?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:27 PM
TTV6>V8

Yeah. Basically it just makes the truck think it's night all the time so it runs the lights at 100% power.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 PM

Is that for during the day to run them as day driving lights? Couldn't you just flip the switch to off during the day and on at night? Would that work? Sorry but I'm kinda confused with the percentages of running power.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM
TTV6>V8

I'm not sure actually. If you park facing a wall and flick your light from off to every setting I think they still may dim out on the first setting. It's easier to just cover the sensor because that guarantees the lights will turn on. Are you in Canada or the US because all vehicles sold in Canada have the DTL turned on. But vehicles in the states dont unless the buyer asks the dealer to turn them on. When you install them try manually turning them on and if the still flicker try the tape on the sensor.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Logan is talking about is that if your truck has the DRL enabled, the headlights will turn on during daylight at 80%. If you have a relay harness this is not a problem, if you don't, then you may experience flicker because the ballast may not get enough juice from the 80% DRL setup.

You know also that with DRL enabled and HIDs you'll be running with the headlights on all the time at 100%, right?.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:21 PM

So this is only concerning the DTLs which are for driving during the day only? Are those the ones you had the flicker and dimming problem because of the sensor? Are those the same as the parking lights (the first setting I think)? And I'm in the US. I don't even know if I use my day time lights. I just have my settings at off during the day then on at night.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

PWheels, you don't have to cover the sensor. We don't have the day time running lights here in the U.S. on this truck. I have changed mine, you need a phillips head bit in a cordless drill and a 10mm socket. When you open the hood there will be a rubber "flap" on side of the lights there is a plastic screw on the top of each one. Back that out with the drill, it makes it easier because of the speed. There are 2 10MM bolts on top of each light and one on the side. Pull the lights straight forward to get them out. You may have to wiggle them a bit. Unplug your other bulbs or remove them so you can get the light out of the way. Find a spot to mount your ballast. Hook up your grounds and all other connections leaving the hot wire on the battery for last. If need any other help, let me know.

Quick Reply: HID help