Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Horrible idle after plug swap.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HELP! Horrible idle after plug swap.

Truck had a slight rough idle and 122k on original plugs. I did a plug change to the SP-534 and gapped about .030-.031. The plugs I removed were in the .50s! I am wondering now if the piece I used to gap is correct. I used small amount of anti-seeze but no where near the electrode part as I know that can cause issues. Used a small amount of di-electric grease inside the boot and wiped off them off. What I found is when the truck warms up its buttery smooth idle. First start after plugs it took 2 min and it was smooth. Drove all day. Started i this morning and it was real rough. Took over 10 min for it to go away and what I noticed is it took forever for the truck to warm up. Stayed on the cold side and didn't move off it for a good 10+ min.. when it got into normal operating temp range issue gone.. truck idled so smooth I could not even tell it was running!.. I just bought this truck and wife is on me about the issues... I appreciate any and all Help.. I am going to do an computer reset when I get home tonight. I assume this needs to be done when the truck is 100% cold? I have also heard there is a flash update for the computer as well?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,707 Posts

Year model and engine will probably help us help you.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Year model and engine will probably help us help you.
So Sorry.. 2011 Ford Ecoboost FX2 4door.

I did clean the motor during the spark plug change which had me worried i got something wet I should not have. Also the truck does have an airaid cold air intake on it. No tune and original owner ran it on 87 its whole life. I am starting to wonder if I knocked off a vacuum line during plug swap. It's a super rough idle. Watching it take forever to warm up was kinda odd as well. This is all real stressful since it took a week to convince the wife we needed this truck just to end up having issues to fix including the slip yoke bump..
Old 06-26-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by BadlilF150
So Sorry.. 2011 Ford Ecoboost FX2 4door.

I did clean the motor during the spark plug change which had me worried i got something wet I should not have. Also the truck does have an airaid cold air intake on it. No tune and original owner ran it on 87 its whole life. I am starting to wonder if I knocked off a vacuum line during plug swap. It's a super rough idle. Watching it take forever to warm up was kinda odd as well. This is all real stressful since it took a week to convince the wife we needed this truck just to end up having issues to fix including the slip yoke bump..
Dont worry about the slip yoke, its just a nuisance and can be fixed.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Dont worry about the slip yoke, its just a nuisance and can be fixed.
Thank you. Wife stressing thinking trans is going out lol. We aren't made out of money and this truck was smoking good deal because I got it off a friend. I will attempt that fix tonight on the slip yoke. The next thing to resolve is this horrible idle. So strange how after 10 min of driving its so smooth I have to look at the tach to see if its even running... its literally that smooth. Been around cars my whole life and drag raced for 20 years. When I mean Smooth I mean its extremely smooth when warmed up. Like I said tho.. I am starting to question my spark plug gauge for gapping. The factory were all over .050.. if its off then its possible it could be gapped super low. its a tiny gap i know that much.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by BadlilF150
Thank you. Wife stressing thinking trans is going out lol. We aren't made out of money and this truck was smoking good deal because I got it off a friend. I will attempt that fix tonight on the slip yoke. The next thing to resolve is this horrible idle. So strange how after 10 min of driving its so smooth I have to look at the tach to see if its even running... its literally that smooth. Been around cars my whole life and drag raced for 20 years. When I mean Smooth I mean its extremely smooth when warmed up. Like I said tho.. I am starting to question my spark plug gauge for gapping. The factory were all over .050.. if its off then its possible it could be gapped super low. its a tiny gap i know that much.

Take a look at this post

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/anyone...ke-fix-386710/

I would not recommend the top video, but look towards the end posts for links.

Big older post here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/drives...es-fix-153099/
Old 06-26-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I did my plug change I damaged the electrode on the new plug. I guess I hit it on the way into the cylinder. I re-gapped the plug and all was good. Check each one and make sure you did not do they same.

Hope it helps.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

have you taken it to autozone to see if it threw a code?
Old 06-26-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by msgross
have you taken it to autozone to see if it threw a code?
no check engine lights.. I can pull codes with my SCT tuner also.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:34 PM

Take a look at this post

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/anyone...ke-fix-386710/

I would not recommend the top video, but look towards the end posts for links.

Big older post here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/drives...es-fix-153099/
Yeah, most of those videos are once piece shafts. I have yet to find a video that shows them removing the boot and performing the steps.. The one guy who I THINK was going to show us had camera issues and it had stopped recording on him. My ford kit only came with ONE of hte clamps needed for hte boot.. I assume I only need to remove one side. I did find hte Ford TSB that walks you through fixing the issue.. although not a video I think I can figure it out.. I will attempt tonight.. Wish me luck!