Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! 2010 5.4 cylinder head temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 2010 5.4 cylinder head temp sensor

My truck sat parked for a couple months while I was on the road and the head temp sensor has failed. Fans kick on high speed a few seconds after start up and temp gauge never rises although I have a digital temp warning on the cluster. Also killed my a/c and seems to be running very rich. Plugged it in at the ol' auto zone in town and it threw a code for the cylinder head temp sensor. My question is; How do I replace the cylinder head temp sensor? Do I need to remove the intake manifold or can it be done without removing anything major? All the info I have found says the sensor is lo ated on the rear of the passenger side head but I can't seem to reach it! Any help would be much appreciated as I have 3 kids and summer is here.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:50 PM

Received 295 Likes on 207 Posts

Here is a video on an ‘03 Expedition with a 5.4 2V, the location on the 5.4 3V is the same if I’m not mistaken:

Old 12-24-2022, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok this is long post but i need help! a dam crazy cannundrum for me and its been driving bananas for over a week ... im strand3ed at home because the cold tempurature has froze my 2005 f150. it wil start and idle and i can drive maybe half a block before it beeps at me and the temp needle flies to red line yet no heat from vents at alll , no defrost! rad hoses on top of engine get right hot, can barely hold them in bare hand however the bottom hoses feel like they are frozen solid with whatever **** is in there . now my truck has had the catalytic converters stolen before i purchased the vehicle and someone straight piped the exhaust but did a terrible job as it leaks . the sensors that are normally right after the cats to measure outflow emmisions are gone as well . i realize this causes many diff symptoms . truck runs ok and idles well at first but in town with all the stopping and starting it will sometimes overheat.and sometimes randomly its like the rad gets plugged or whatever or because i probably dont have the proper coolant mix in there. i keep a jug of water in the truck to add to the rad whenever it needs, i thought my coolant mix was sufficient for the temperature but my rad has a small leak on the pass side near the top corner and it got low , so i topped it up with water and the only antifreeze i had at home because i live way out in the country with my wife and it is the only vehicle we have and in my haste i added a almost full jug of heavy duty orange antifreeze as it was all i had and its minus 25 outside so i didnt think i could use just water. (im fairily sure that was the final blow to the old girl as i found out after you cant mix green and orange antifreeze , as well as a picture on the top of the res cap that literally has a picture saying do not use orange anitfreeze i rely on my truck not only for transportation but also income and with it parked i have zero dollars banked and more importantly none coming in to spring for any parts/fluids/hoses /whatever. after that the truck made one trip to town n barely back , on the way home it did its little flashy flashy engine light then the beep telling me to check gauges cause it was all the way redlining in temp but i had no coolant or water to put in and was only 10 min from home so i just limped it home in fact it stared to lose lots of power getting worse and worse until it actualy shut itself down like 30 m from my driveway and i had to coast the last bit in neutral ..since then it has not been able to run for more than 5 min before it over heats even if i fill the resivor with water as that is all i have .the botttom of the engine compartment has no skid plate or shroud and i think that contributes to the extreme cold howling in the compartment freezing the rads and hoses. the truck had ok power but was limited very and needs a long slow increase in throttle to get up to say a 100km passing other vehicles or accelerating quickly is rare but occasionally will letme do it without flashly flashy provided i keep it in its sweet spot in rpms but at low or certain rpms while moving it misfires and will cause check engine light to not only come on but flash. i keep a code reader plugged in all the time to erase to codes on the fly. the flashing engine light goes away if i change the rpms and keep it in its "sweet spot" so to speak. it runs ok in the cold long as i warmed it up well before. but last run the heat kicked out and windshield froze and i have not been able to get heat from any vents and the rad(s) im sure are frozen , i have pulled off the large hose from the rad on the bottom drivers side to find it full of gel like ice and after seeing that attempted to thaw the bastard with blow dryer direct on the outlet as well as multiple other heaters positioned under the front . no dice at alll , i even used a propane tiger torch in small bursts to try n thaw the rad, and the craziest attempt at thawing the front end i tried yesterday by building a large bonfire and letting it burn down to coals as we have a sunken deeply firepit and drove the truck and actually parked it with thefront end over the coals keeping a close eye for flames and damage and left the truck running like that in a attempt to get the fan to pull some off the heat through the rad to aid int thethawing ..... i did my f150 fire smudging for aboutan hour n a half only thing i achieved was having the cabin now stink like camping cologne hahaha holy that whole speech makes it sound like the truck shouldnt even run haha ... ithink i need to take the rads and heater cores off and flush them which is my next plan after watching some youtube on it but after that im running out of logical ideas and thats when ideas like building big fires and parking my truck on them start sounding like smart things to do. i really need my truck !!!! if anyone knows any solutions or can help with old parts or whatevr advice i could really use some help!!! any help would be a godsend ! thank you !!! odometer is around 500000km as well but i have no way to know what they actually are as it was two trucks before i bought it i have no garage or anyway to put my truck inside to either work on it or thaw it so everything has to be done outside =( if someone had one of those tent style vehicle shelter things i could even borrow would be enough as i could set it up around the truck and heat it and thaw the sucker i dunno .. i tried to build one out of tarps n such but dont have enough materials
Old 12-24-2022, 03:47 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Exclamation

yetirue...
-Duplicate Post- (other is in the general discussion forum)
-reported-

Quick Reply: Help! 2010 5.4 cylinder head temp sensor