Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater blower is weak

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Default heater blower is weak

started out fine, had the heat cranked up to 4 then a mile into my trip it felt like it had hardly any air coming out at all and the blower got quite. Got to where work shut the truck off and restarted it. What's going on? If it's some safty thing that the blower shuts down when it can't suck in enough air where do I look for the intake of it?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Intake for when on fresh air mode is under your windshield cowl, recirculation mode intake is passenger floor upper kick area.

If the fan stops working on certain speeds or isn't as powerful its most likely the heater blower resistor which controls the speed of the blower motor, or the blower motor is dying. Both are usually replaced if the motor is dying.

If your still under your warranty best to take it back and have them check it
Old 12-18-2013, 09:46 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

If you have the temp. in your truck set to a specific # once the cab reaches that temp doesn't the fan slow down until it needs to speed up again to return to the preset temp?

The fan speed varies in mine from time to time depending on the temp. I set. I thought that was how it worked.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I am not, well since you mention that it's under the cowl, we did have a light snow that all blew up into that area all at once. Maybe that caused it?
Old 12-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by coley909
started out fine, had the heat cranked up to 4 then a mile into my trip it felt like it had hardly any air coming out at all and the blower got quite. Got to where work shut the truck off and restarted it. What's going on? If it's some safty thing that the blower shuts down when it can't suck in enough air where do I look for the intake of it?
I experienced something similar to this in my 2011 a couple of years back. Took it in, and they said something in the heater electronics had failed, replaced under warranty and was good to go for the next couple of years till I traded it in on my 13.

Quick Reply: heater blower is weak