Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner Velcro Failing

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Palmetto Pride

Received 198 Likes on 152 Posts

Question Headliner Velcro Failing

So i looked up and on the backside of my sunroof my headliner is not sticking to the cab of the truck. There are about 4 pieces of velcro that just will not stick. It droops so far i can see all the way though to my interior dome light Should i just get some new velcro and hope it stays?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Bulge
So i looked up and on the backside of my sunroof my headliner is not sticking to the cab of the truck. There are about 4 pieces of velcro that just will not stick. It droops so far i can see all the way though to my interior dome light Should i just get some new velcro and hope it stays?
Bring it to the dealer. I know they have a special velcro kit for that condition but it's not yet listed as a defect. So I've heard.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same problem with me, dealer didn't fix mine. I also didn't push them very hard as it was an easy fix to do myself. Below is what I picked up from a local target for cheap:

http://www.itapestore.com/1x2-3msj35...cutpieces.aspx

works pretty well. Just put one side on top truck frame and other side on headliner. These are stronger than plain velcro. I even added a little extra adhesive to the sticky sides on each strip to help make it a stronger hold to the truck frame and headliner.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Expanding the Stable

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This HAS to be what I can hear while I am driving....

It sounds like a clicking noise right above my head and when i press the headliner upwards, it stops. There is a bit of lag space between the headliner and the actual roof of the car, and when I go over bumps I can hear the annoying click.

On one hand, I like to avoid the dealer at all costs. It takes time, and before you know it, they will find some way to charge me. But at the same time, my truck is brand new and does nto even have 2,000 miles on it and I have this stupid problem.

Kinda frustrating.... I have a feeling I am going to be fixing this myself though.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sublime268
This HAS to be what I can hear while I am driving....

It sounds like a clicking noise right above my head and when i press the headliner upwards, it stops. There is a bit of lag space between the headliner and the actual roof of the car, and when I go over bumps I can hear the annoying click.

On one hand, I like to avoid the dealer at all costs. It takes time, and before you know it, they will find some way to charge me. But at the same time, my truck is brand new and does nto even have 2,000 miles on it and I have this stupid problem.

Kinda frustrating.... I have a feeling I am going to be fixing this myself though.
yes, the clicking sound is the velcro pulling apart. It is frustrating that this happens on a new truck. The design and velcro used is terrible. Its like 4 1"x1" pieces. I got sick of dealing with dealership, so I just fixed it myself. I started having this problem somewhere around the same mileage as you, I now have 28-29k miles and my way holds fine.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Palmetto Pride

Received 198 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks 2009f150FX4 those look much better than velcro. How does the adhesive hold up on those?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Tuxedo Black

Just noticed this in my truck as well. Seems to be more towards the back. Had my son back there asking him to list to where the rattle was coming from and sure enough it was the ceiling/roof liner. Pressed it back up by hand and it stopped...for awhile .

2,400 miles on it right now. I figure I'll likely get the dealer to fix it during my 1st oil change (although that's a ways away). I may end up doing this myself too so I'm glad to see this thread. However, there's something wrong with me having to fix a new truck :P
Old 11-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah, it's a **** poor design, you would think they would know how to secure a headliner after all these years. Mine has sagged since new. I tried some extreme velcro from Home depot and it later started coming loose after a few weeks. I went to the dealer last winter for the TSB fix and it was ok thru winter and then once summer hit, the heat loosened the velcro again and it's been sagging ever since. I refuse to go back and haven't had time to tinker with it. I'll probably try some superglue on the velcro before sticking it to the metal roof.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
yeah, it's a **** poor design, you would think they would know how to secure a headliner after all these years. Mine has sagged since new. I tried some extreme velcro from Home depot and it later started coming loose after a few weeks. I went to the dealer last winter for the TSB fix and it was ok thru winter and then once summer hit, the heat loosened the velcro again and it's been sagging ever since. I refuse to go back and haven't had time to tinker with it. I'll probably try some superglue on the velcro before sticking it to the metal roof.
There's a TSB out on this issue? Do you have the number?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 AM

I had the same issue with my '09. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it without question. Not sure what they used to fix it, but I haven't had any problems in the last 5K.

Quick Reply: Headliner Velcro Failing