Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Headlights

Greetings. First post here. I picked up a 13 F 150 Lariat with 10,000 miles on it a few days ago. Love the truck so far. One thing though stands out that I'm not overly impressed with. The headlights. On dark roads the lights really are not very impressive. Even the hi beams seem to be a little less than what you would expect. Anyone else see this issue or have a suggestion on how to improve them?
Old 12-23-2013, 05:46 AM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

we all know it, few acknowledge it. first I assume you have the halogen lights and not the hids. few options
1. change the bulbs (75$ roughly) slight improvement, depending how often you drive those darker roads it may be enough.
2. add some driving lights (we love the rigid brand) (200-300$)
3. buy the hid assembly from ebay (1100$)
4. do a hid retrofit (400-2300$)

welcome to the forum.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:50 AM
SSG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go RIGID!!! Lol
Old 12-23-2013, 06:04 AM
King Lariat

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't feel too bad all the newer vehicles have complaints from headlights.

Fortunately you can upgrade them.. Everyone has a different visual standard, furthermore your options are.

As stated;

1. Headlights - I'd go PIAA they come with a year warranty, better watts and kelvin than a stock bulb will give you more visibility for 80 bucks or so.

If you're not content with that, I'd go with driving lights. In terms of legality maybe Sirius LED's or some PIAA's? I'd go LED or HID.

If legality is not an issue, LightForce 170's or Aurora LED's.

Otherwise if you're still not content, I'd follow with an HID kit.

Brightsource is a good brand imo.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow. I like those Aurora LED's. Only problem is I'm not the most handy with installation of items such as this. I won't be doing off road so I primarily just was a brighter headlight. Thanks for the info on here.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:45 AM
King Lariat

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EODK9Trainer
Wow. I like those Aurora LED's. Only problem is I'm not the most handy with installation of items such as this. I won't be doing off road so I primarily just was a brighter headlight. Thanks for the info on here.
The Auroras up North where I live have stolen the market from Rigid, both good lights in their own respect. Me being one who swapped.

Aurora's premium series puts out about 1000 more lumens than Rigids and it's not a break and toss brand like eBay. They had similar designs with Rigid to the point where they had to change it.

Also some nice light bars that are in-expensive are Smittybilt light bars.

They have a good warranty too and 4 tabs on there spread enough to fit 4 9" lights I think.

Best of luck! If you have any questions feel free to message me.

EDIT:

I put my light bar on in under an hour wired and everything. You get a pre-loomed wiring kit.

-Battery terminals with in line fuse.
-Relay
-Switch
-Light quick plug

You just have to put it in tidy and run the wires to the cab through the fire wall. Worse come to worse you have to extend the wiring.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:53 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by KevFord1993
The Auroras up North where I live have stolen the market from Rigid, both good lights in their own respect. Me being one who swapped. Aurora's premium series puts out about 1000 more lumens than Rigids and it's not a break and toss brand like eBay. They had similar designs with Rigid to the point where they had to change it. Also some nice light bars that are in-expensive are Smittybilt light bars. They have a good warranty too and 4 tabs on there spread enough to fit 4 9" lights I think. Best of luck! If you have any questions feel free to message me. EDIT: I put my light bar on in under an hour wired and everything. You get a pre-loomed wiring kit. -Battery terminals with in line fuse. -Relay -Switch -Light quick plug You just have to put it in tidy and run the wires to the cab through the fire wall. Worse come to worse you have to extend the wiring.
For roughly the same price I'd go with rigid. I know auroras may be a nice product but everything I've read on the sites reads like very bad English and if there ever was a warranty situation it might be difficult to navigate.

I run the rigid duellys with the 4 LEDs in a spot pattern, I paid $175 shipped and it came with everything needed to hook up. I put them in place of my stock driving lights and they are night and day better. They throw light far down the road and to the sides a bit.

Hooked up using the stock wiring and switch the driving lights so I didn't have to wire to battery just cut off stock plug and wired on rigid plug so they are plug and play now.

I also bought amber covers so I can choose white light or amber for fog and snow.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:48 AM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

HID retrofit for sure. I too am not impressed with the stock HID system. coming from a previously retrofitted car, the output is equivalent to halogen projectors with HIDs. no really sharp and not wide at all. you can check out the lighting section on this forum for a few members who retrofit headlights. it may be a little pricey but after selling your system, it wont be that much.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

I personally did all of it, changed the bulbs in the fogs, installed rigids behind the grill and did my own retrofit here is a pic with the rigids off. I can see very well noe
Attached Thumbnails Headlights-image-2243111170.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want brighter with just halogens and not spending a whole lot of money, look into getting some Philips CrystalVision bulbs. I have them in my fogs and I used to run them on my magnum when I had it. I paid just over $40 canadian for a pair of bulbs and they lasted over 2 years in my magnum.

Quick Reply: Headlights