Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done the SST upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 03:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Has anyone done the SST upgrade?

Has anyone on here who bought a truck without the manual mode or Select Shift Transmission done the upgrade? I got the cluster and will have the shifter Friday. Other than I assume a trip to the dealship to unlock it am I missing anything? I am of the understanding they are all the same 6 speed transmissions just some come with the manual mode some do not. With my current cluster 654321 do not light up, If I shift into M it does not go Red but D 2 and 1 do. Just not M which I think it thinks is actually 3 since M is not programmed into the PCM I guess.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Do these trucks have a Transmission control module, or is all controlled through the PCM? I know, for example, that the 4x4s have a transfer case control module and a regular one can be swapped out for a Raptor one and gain some of the Raptor functions.

If it's all through the PCM, I'm not sure where to start. It would be interesting what a dealer would say about it. I'm not sure if they have the capability of reprogramming PCMs or not.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 405 Likes on 329 Posts

My understanding was that , sst, was a function of factory tow package. If you had factory tow, sst present. No factory tow, no sst.

maybe telling the pcm that factory tow is present will get you what you want. Maybe someone familiar with Forscan will chime in.

Copied from brochure.

Trailer Tow Package (required for towing over 5,000 lbs.) includes Class IV trailer hitch receiver, 7-pin wiring harness, upgraded radiator, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, and SelectShift Automatic® transmission

Last edited by jhanna; 02-28-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:47 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

I seriously doubt there is any way to tell the PCM that the truck has the tow package. The tow package is simply a group of individual features.

But I would think there is a way to program the PCM with the select shift. But I doubt Forscan will be the answer. It is very limited in PCM access. A custom tuner might be a good resource.
The following users liked this post:
dhonnoll (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 04:42 PM

I believe the dealership can. I just hope they know how.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:58 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by dhonnoll
I believe the dealership can. I just hope they know how.
This might be a good question to shoot off to MPT or 5 star since they program PCM's with their tunes. They might know exactly what the differences are between a SST and non-SST transmission since they tune both versions. A lot of people on here have never seen the PCM coding and I haven't read someone doing this upgrade yet. I think you are entering a new area and are paving the way for others.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:41 PM

Here is what the F-150 brochure says about the Available Tow package of the STX trim Says it has 7 pin wiring harness (mine does not) upgraded radiator (doubt mine has it) transmission oil cooler (mine does not) Class IV trailer hitch not sure if I have that or the Class III. and SelectShift Transmission.
Available Package

Trailer Tow Package (required for towing over 5,000 lbs.) includes Class IV trailer hitch receiver, 7-pin wiring harness, upgraded radiator, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, and SelectShift Automatic transmission.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 405 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by dhonnoll
Here is what the F-150 brochure says about the Available Tow package of the STX trim Says it has 7 pin wiring harness (mine does not) upgraded radiator (doubt mine has it) transmission oil cooler (mine does not) Class IV trailer hitch not sure if I have that or the Class III. and SelectShift Transmission.
Available Package

Trailer Tow Package (required for towing over 5,000 lbs.) includes Class IV trailer hitch receiver, 7-pin wiring harness, upgraded radiator, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, and SelectShift Automatic transmission.
this is the same that I copied/pasted in post 3 above. My STX also didn't gave factory tow. I've since added the class IV, 2" reciever hitch and factory trans cooler.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2jhanna

this is the same that I copied/pasted in post 3 above. My STX also didn't gave factory tow. I've since added the class IV, 2" reciever hitch and factory trans cooler.
So did you also add the SST functionality?
Old 03-01-2018, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl
This might be a good question to shoot off to MPT or 5 star since they program PCM's with their tunes. They might know exactly what the differences are between a SST and non-SST transmission since they tune both versions. A lot of people on here have never seen the PCM coding and I haven't read someone doing this upgrade yet. I think you are entering a new area and are paving the way for others.
thanks I sent them a PM

Quick Reply: Has anyone done the SST upgrade?