Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone attempted this DIY project?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 02:20 AM

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Has anyone attempted this DIY project?

I've been thinking the last few days about trying to figure out a way to install a Qi wireless charger in my F150 somewhere. Some of the best pad/tray areas for the phone are the tray on the center of the top dash, the tray right under the coin slots (that's where I put my iPhone when I get in currently), or the tray down at the bottom of the stereo area (under the Sync USB port) ... or maybe the flat surface above the stereo preset buttons where the clock display is ...

Somewhere that I can gut a Qi wireless charger, and put the charging coils underneath, so when I lay the iPhone on the surface it'll start charging. Whichever route I go, will require some disassembly. I think the easiest would be the top tray at the center of the dash, I can unscrew the tray and tape the coils under it, then screw it back in. The tricky part will be figuring out how to wire it to turn on when the truck is started.

I've been watching some YouTube tutorials, but they all seem to be different vehicles - only saw one video of an F150 but it was a newer model that had a center console option that I don't have in my 2010, so it was a useless video for me (as far as location of the install). I'm tempted to try and see if/how it can be done. Has anyone here done this sorta project before?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I added one to the little tray at the bottom of the stereo area. The charging plate I had plugged into a USB port, so I just plugged it into the empty USB port at the top of the center console. If you pull up that rubber piece on the top of the dash, there should be two USB ports there --- one that goes down to the Sync USB port and an empty one. Lots of people have used the second one for USB2 functionality with Sync. Anyway, I used that for the power.
The following users liked this post:
JonMarkTX (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 03:08 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

I thought about this recently. Probably cus I upgraded to an iPhone 8+ and have the wireless charging available to me. It would be beneficial. I thought about buying a second lid and doing a custom slot for it with a charger cable hole. Too much work tho. Your idea sounds great.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rangerdogy
I added one to the little tray at the bottom of the stereo area. The charging plate I had plugged into a USB port, so I just plugged it into the empty USB port at the top of the center console. If you pull up that rubber piece on the top of the dash, there should be two USB ports there --- one that goes down to the Sync USB port and an empty one. Lots of people have used the second one for USB2 functionality with Sync. Anyway, I used that for the power.
I did not know about this hidden USB port - that could definitely come in handy!! Thanks for the heads up

Quick Reply: Has anyone attempted this DIY project?