Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen to OEM HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halogen to OEM HID headlights

I tried doing a search for this subject and came up with nothing, so if anyone has already discussed this topic, please send me the link.
I have a 2014 STX SPORT and I really am pretty happy with it. However, I love the look of the HID headlights in the FX and Platinum trucks. My boss has a platinum, and I was curious if the harnesses were the same so I took a look at his one day and noticed the HID trucks have a 4 wire harness where mine only has 3. I would love to do a swap with factory HID headlights, but I am not sure what the extra wire is on the HID harness, or if mine can be rewired somehow to work with the factory HID headlights. Does anyone have a wire diagram of the two harnesses or know what the extra wire does, and if this is even possible without switching the whole front wire harness out for a factory HID harness? I know aftermarket companies make HID headlights, but I personally prefer the look of factory parts, as well as the quality and function. Been doing collision repair for 10 years and my experience with ALL aftermarket Chinese parts are they they are inferior in every way to OEM. I don't want my headlights leaking water and turning yellow in 2 years, and i would love to keep that factory look, if at all possible.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Animal8482
I tried doing a search for this subject and came up with nothing, so if anyone has already discussed this topic, please send me the link.
I have a 2014 STX SPORT and I really am pretty happy with it. However, I love the look of the HID headlights in the FX and Platinum trucks. My boss has a platinum, and I was curious if the harnesses were the same so I took a look at his one day and noticed the HID trucks have a 4 wire harness where mine only has 3. I would love to do a swap with factory HID headlights, but I am not sure what the extra wire is on the HID harness, or if mine can be rewired somehow to work with the factory HID headlights. Does anyone have a wire diagram of the two harnesses or know what the extra wire does, and if this is even possible without switching the whole front wire harness out for a factory HID harness? I know aftermarket companies make HID headlights, but I personally prefer the look of factory parts, as well as the quality and function. Been doing collision repair for 10 years and my experience with ALL aftermarket Chinese parts are they they are inferior in every way to OEM. I don't want my headlights leaking water and turning yellow in 2 years, and i would love to keep that factory look, if at all possible.
I made the swap over to oem hid's and so have many others, it's very easy to do but very expensive.

Average cost is about $1,300.00 and comes with an adapter harness to plug into your existing wiring. they also have 3 different styles, black, grey, and chrome.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an OEM kit to adapt the harnesses together? Would you happen to know the part number and did you order direct from a dealer or is there a website that sells this?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am interested in doing this swap on my 2011 FX4. Just don't know if I can justify $1300 for headlights!!! They do look sharp though.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangJim21
I am interested in doing this swap on my 2011 FX4. Just don't know if I can justify $1300 for headlights!!! They do look sharp though.
Can we really justify $30-40K for our trucks? Lol

If you drive a lot at night, the money is worth it, it's literally night and day difference!
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (12-02-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

There is an OEM kit to adapt the harnesses together? Would you happen to know the part number and did you order direct from a dealer or is there a website that sells this?
Its aftermarket. There are a couple companies that make them. Theretrofitsource.com is where mine is from. I did the swap a few months ago. I got a used set of Raptor OEM HID's from a member on here including the harness. Definitely not a cheap mod, but a big difference.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:45 PM

As already mentioned, it's an after market harness that adapts the hids to your existing wiring, plug-n-play.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You'll need the conversion kit from retro source as others stated, as well as ballasts. I got mine from a vendor on here that goes by the name of billnvic or something similar he has a website, just google him. Then you'll also need head lights and bulbs. I'll be doing my swap in the next couple days
Old 09-12-2015, 03:38 PM

You can also get a complete set with harness ready to install from ebay, that's where I got my set from. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM-FORD-F150-RH-LH-XENON-HID-HEADLAMP-HEADLIGHT-CHROME-2009-2014-NICE-/400953469131?hash=item5d5ab068cb.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 04:33 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Its a very easy conversion, takes about 45 minutes to install. Well worth the cost, I did it to my xlt over 2 yrs ago.

Its nice to be able to see so much better while driving at nite, and look good doing so. Id do it again, in a heartbeat! Best $910.00, Ive spent on a mod for my truck. Next to my Kenwood 892 HU, and oem ford logo backup cam.

Quick Reply: Halogen to OEM HID headlights