Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GRRRR... New wheels but no center caps!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Angry GRRRR... New wheels but no center caps!!

So today I met a fellow forum member in Houston and purchased his new take off tires and wheels from his Lariat Limited. After making the deal and talking for a few minutes I went my way and he went his. About a block away I noticed a discount tire so I stopped in there and had them swap the 20's for the 22's.

So far I am thrilled!

I drove 70 miles back to my office and when I got there myself and a few coworkers were admiring the looks of the new wheels when i walked to the passenger side and was missing a center cap. I called discount to see if maybe they had it sitting there and forgot to mount it... They checked on it and it was not there...

I checked all three other center caps and they seemed tight so i headed to the stealership to order a new center cap. I ordered it ($46.46) and headed home. When i got home all four of the caps were missing... Now i normally dont cuss but What in the heck could have made all four of the fall off?

And now I cant get the TPMS to work. Took it to three local tire shops and they could not pickup the sensor with their scanner.. Going to my brother's shop in the morning to see if one of his tire guys can get it working right.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

That stinks...reminds of a joke back in the 80's .... How did kids learn to break dance...steal wheels off moving cars.... Any chance there is a thief at work on your nice wheels?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:34 PM

thats funny...

Naa, not a chance on the thief. The first one was missing as soon as I pulled up and then I left there and drove to the ford dealer then home. The truck never got out of my sight.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

i think i would go back to discount tire first
Old 08-20-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was looking at getting the black harley rims for my truck and found somewhere on here that there are special lug nuts for those wheels that hold the caps down.

Did you use your old lug nuts or his???

I hope you got his because the guy that was on here said that the lugs were $17 dollars a piece, so that $408 for the lugs.... ouch
Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by m.gil
i think i would go back to discount tire first
Ok so when i dropped my truck off at discount i told them the lug nuts for the 22's are in the back floor boards. The sales guy told me "they are the same" and proceeded back to work on the computer.

after reading the next comment i called Ford and get the two part numbers... They are different and yes they are $17 each for the limited or harley and only $4 each for the 20's

Originally Posted by crikk
Did you use your old lug nuts or his???.... ouch
The stock lug nut (ford part number 7L1Z 1012A) is 53.91MM overall length. The limited lug nut (ford part number 6L3Z 1120BA) is 62.49 mm each... The difference is from the shoulder to the cone area that goes into the wheel. This additional length gives the center cap more to grab...

Thanks to member Texasz for giving me the correct lug nuts with the wheels.

As it turns out the TPMS sensors were not in the wheels but TexasZ is being true to his word and helping with that.

Quick Reply: GRRRR... New wheels but no center caps!!