Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding type noise when turning left - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Grinding type noise when turning left - FIXED

Ok so for the last couple weeks I've had the grinding noise from the front hubs while turning left. I did a lot of searching and reading through the forum and found quite a few trucks having similar issues. I narrowed it down to the IWE units making the noise. If I disconnected the vacuum hose from the IWE solenoid the noise was gone. I replaced the solenoid, just because it was the cheapest solution. The noise did not go away. I tested vacuum at the vacuum reservoir and it did not leak off. I then tested vacuum at both IWE units. It did not bleed off. I then tested vacuum from the solenoid to the IWE units, it did not bleed off. I decided it was worn IWE units and called it a night. A few days later after much more reading I decide to try again before ordering the IWE's. This time I used a smoke machine to look for a leak. I tested everything that I checked with the vacuum pump and still no leak found. Again I was convinced it was the IWE's and went home. In the middle of the night I set up in bed and realized that I did all of the testing with the wheels in the straight ahead position. The next afternoon I again tested the vacuum from the solenoid to the IWE's when I turned the wheels to the left the vacuum immediately went to zero, finally some progress. I then hooked up the smoke machine to the hose from the solenoid to the IWE's with the wheels straight the pressure held, as soon as I turn to the left smoke from the drivers side wheel well. What I found was the if you follow the vacuum hose up from the IWE, about 8 inches up the hose there is a wire tie that holds the hose to a bracket on the shock. The hose was split open right at the wire tie. When the wheels were straight there was enough pressure/force to hold the hose together. But when the wheels turned to the left it pulled the hose apart and the vacuum leaked down causing the IWE's to attempt to lock. I did a temp fix with a brass hose fitting. The entire hose run from the solenoid to both IWE's is only $40 from Ford. Anyways I hope that this helps someone out.
The following 5 users liked this post by jrmac22:
bfdemt36 (04-28-2024), dannytexas (01-01-2017), gtpjerry (03-10-2022), M0RRIS (10-31-2022), Newbie 5 (10-29-2022)
Old 12-31-2016, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I've been dealing with grinding from my front right wheel area in my 13 Limited with 44,000 miles. It only happens when it is cold (but not too cold as I've just found out when I took it to the dealership when it was 8 degrees outside). The grinding goes away after I put the truck in 4wd. I've read so many posts over the last year trying to figure out what it could be. Each time I take it to the dealership it has either been too warm or too cold. The perfect temp where the noise happens for me is between 20 and 40 degrees. Crazy stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Adrmarr10 (12-01-2019)
Old 02-04-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Digging up an old thread here. It has been well below 0 degrees F here lately and when I got a dreaded driver's side IWE grinding noise from my 2011 this week when making a left turn, I had fear of either freezing to death on my driveway trying to replace an IWE, or losing $1000 at my local dealer to have them fix it. Took the wheel off today and (to my pleasant surprise) found a split vacuum hose just above a factory applied zip-tie to the shock bracket, exactly as above. Note that the vacuum hose is zip-tied like this only on the driver's side (not the pasenger side). Only the vacuum hose was split, not the vent hose. This is a obviously a stress point on the vacuum hose to the left side IWE. Fixed it with a plastic tubing connector that I had on-hand from old windshield washer tubing.

If your driver's side IWE is grinding particularly when making a left turn and you have a 2011-14 F150, check this first. My tubing splice works fine. The new vacuum harness is $30 US at Tasca (project for warmer weather). You will save a bundle, if you find this leak before just blindly replacing the IWE.

Last edited by F150XTR; 02-04-2018 at 09:53 PM.
gtpjerry (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old thread rediscovered

I found this thread years after the fact while trying to troubleshoot an issue with my 2011 F150 FX4. I had the same grinding noise on the left front, only while turning to the left. After reading the posts here, I pulled the wheel to have a look, and what do you know, there was a slice in the vacuum tubing right where the zip strap holding it attached to the suspension. I cut a section out, spliced in a new piece, wrapped it with tape for a little protection, and loosely reattached to the suspension. Voila! Problem solved! Thanks to jrmac22 who posted the original solution, F150XTR who confirmed the same, and Google that led me here. For $8.25 I fixed the problem instead of spending a fortune at the dealer.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:22 PM
Mike

I seem to have the same issue with turning left for the most part. IWE’s were replaced by a shop in Feb 2022 ( 2014 F150 3.5L Ecoboost). I just replaced solenoid and check valve and all Vacuum hoses. It is still grinding in cooler weather and noticed mostly during left turn at slow speed and coasting. I bought new actuators to replace again but noticed that the system is holding vacuum and the hubs are not engaged and the wheels spin freely. Hubs were replaced in November 2021. I am at a loss and I have read so many posts my eyes go crossed. Shops don’t seem to replicate and dismiss it for brakes (replaced in July 2022). I have done a lot of maintenance given I am ready to roll 100k but this subtle grinding is driving me nuts.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:02 PM
Beeps and Boops

Received 1,050 Likes on 698 Posts

If you jack up the front end, turn the truck on, and engage 4x4, do the axles spin with the wheels? When driving around, if you engage 4x4 does the grinding go away?
Old 10-27-2022, 02:30 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by Laminar
If you jack up the front end, turn the truck on, and engage 4x4, do the axles spin with the wheels? When driving around, if you engage 4x4 does the grinding go away?

yes they free spin when jacked up. Driving with 4x4 on has sometimes made the noise go away but then I have also heard it on occasion. That is why I can’t seem to drill down if it is indeed the IWE’s or not. I have turned the wheels to the left while jacked up and they still free spin as if they are holding vacuum. I am by no means a mechanic but have researched enough I feel like I got an online degree. 😂 But so far this seems to baffle me and the shops.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:37 AM
Dielectrically 5w30

Received 5,022 Likes on 3,280 Posts

Originally Posted by OUWelsh92
yes they free spin when jacked up. Driving with 4x4 on has sometimes made the noise go away but then I have also heard it on occasion. That is why I can’t seem to drill down if it is indeed the IWE’s or not. I have turned the wheels to the left while jacked up and they still free spin as if they are holding vacuum. I am by no means a mechanic but have researched enough I feel like I got an online degree. 😂 But so far this seems to baffle me and the shops.
You should start your own thread, laying out your exact issue and what you've done etc. etc. You should get better answers than trying to piggyback on this one.
OUWelsh92 (10-29-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 12:09 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

OUWelsh92...
Welcome!
Consider putting your complete vehicle information (year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, mileage, maintenance, modifications, etc., etc.) in your signature to have it automagically included when you post.
» Edit Signature ««« -click-
*You have to be logged-in and don't forget to [ save ] it.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:21 PM

Received 493 Likes on 304 Posts

When it's cold the grease that lubricates the IWE movement can be too much grease and too thick. The hoses to the IWE have a double line the vacuum line and the vent line that just goes up into the engin area open. If the vent line gets moisture and freezes the IWE can not vent and can be sluggish to move.

Quick Reply: Grinding type noise when turning left - FIXED