Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gooseneck trailor with an 2012 fx4 possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gooseneck trailor with an 2012 fx4 possible?

I went to a car hauler trailer dealer today looking for something to pull my 05 mustang gt and possibly my brothers 1 ton 06 Cummins. I found 2 trailers, 1st one is a 22' 6" channel tilt trailor with 2 7,000 axles available in goosneck or regular, the other one is pretty much the same but 20' and does not have tilt. So u guys that tow a lot what do u guys recommend for me? I plan on using it to haul my mustang to the track and my Bronco up to the mountains for 4 wheelin. My other question is I have a 2012 f150 fx4 eco boost supercrew with the 5 1/2 box would I be able to pull a goosneck trailer with it?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A few issues here, first, the short bed isn't "really" meant for a 5th wheel hookup, because where the ball will be placed is close enough to the cab it's easy to jack-knife a trailer into the cab. 2nd it sounds like an awful lot of potential weight overall, and may be too much damping on your truck. IF you want to do this, you'll likely need a set of those air shocks which pump up and will help with the damping down, but then you're looking at swaying issues ect going down the road.

Take it from someone who has pulled gooseneck horsetrailers many miles, on flat ground, a good half-ton can stand a small gooseneck just fine, but hilly terrain is something else. Often times, the engine can do more than the body can really stand.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions different from mine, which is fine.....just offering my own.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by painthorseowner
A few issues here, first, the short bed isn't "really" meant for a 5th wheel hookup, because where the ball will be placed is close enough to the cab it's easy to jack-knife a trailer into the cab. 2nd it sounds like an awful lot of potential weight overall, and may be too much damping on your truck. IF you want to do this, you'll likely need a set of those air shocks which pump up and will help with the damping down, but then you're looking at swaying issues ect going down the road.

Take it from someone who has pulled gooseneck horsetrailers many miles, on flat ground, a good half-ton can stand a small gooseneck just fine, but hilly terrain is something else. Often times, the engine can do more than the body can really stand.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions different from mine, which is fine.....just offering my own.
Sway with a goose/5th.... Riiiight. A bob/bumper is waaaay worse.
The following users liked this post:
brucesears (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't help you , but you may want to check out this thread; https://www.f150forum.com/f38/5th-wh...m-doing-52823/
Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured with a shortbed it might be a problem that's y I asked, iv seen a couple of guys on this forum with goosnecks on shortbeds but not much, I just want an opinion on which trailer best suits me,
Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jcain
Sway with a goose/5th.... Riiiight. A bob/bumper is waaaay worse.
I agree that goosenecks pull much better, what I meant was being overloaded, as far as payload/down force in the bed, can cause swaying/stability issues. But yes, all else equal too much weight in a gooseneck is better than a tag-along.

To the original poster, good luck either way you go.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

You can get a slider for the gooseneck. Used to have one in my old truck at work. Worked slick.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:07 AM
2011 Lariat Screw EB

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Something like this? Go ahead and put a regular gooseneck ball in. You have absolutely no worries about going 90 degrees. I have a 5th wheel and a gooseneck plate for it. My buddy has a Gooseneck dump trailer. Works fine. Although I have a 6.5 foot box

Just watch your payload
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

I would go with the non-tilt standard deck trailer. The tilt decks add some weight, which you don't want. Your F150 should pull it fine. Goosenecks and 5th wheels are more stable by nature and tend to ride a little smoother. Being you have the 5.5' bed, you'll have to pay attention when making tight turns so you don't hit the cab. Another thing is find a gooseneck kit that is compatible with an airbag kit. The airbag kits for our trucks sit and attach outside the frame. One of the most popular gooseneck kits, made by B&W, is not compatible without some modifications.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
2011 Lariat Screw EB

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

He's right. I have the "No Drill" brackets for my rails and not compatible with airbags. That being said I went with Roadmaster Active Suspension.

And in what world with that gooseneck trailer will you hit your back window? A 5th camper yes you worry about it but not a regular gooseneck trailer.

Quick Reply: gooseneck trailor with an 2012 fx4 possible?