Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ghosts in my seat!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghosts in my seat!

So I've been experiencing this for a while now and I swore it was me and not the truck....until today.

For the past few weeks when I would get in the truck I would swear that the seat was not where I left it. It only changes in height(higher/lower) not in distance(closer/farther from steering wheel).

Today when I got in the truck and it felt high, I moved the steering wheel so that I could just see the top row of gauges right under the top of the steering wheel. When I got back in this afternoon the seat was lower and the gauges were now lower under the wheel because my eye level moved down.

I'm imagining a few inches in difference. Normally I leave it wherever it was because I swore it was just me being **** about my seat, but I am pretty sure because I'm adjusting my mirrors and sometimes I can't see out of my rear-view without adjusting it.

I am the only one driving my truck, I've got 4 admin keys, but only use one. There is one spare inside the house and the other 2 are locked in the safe with the pistols.

XLT with no navigation so I don't think I have memory seats or anything so the seat shouldn't be moving. I'm not hitting it getting in or out of the truck and I don't have anything in the side pocket of the door that would be hitting the buttons when I got out.

I guess next option would be to start measuring the height with a tape every time I get in and start recording this phenomenon and then go to the dealer if no one has any ideas...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Weird, keep us posted .
Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Every vehicle I have does this. When cold your seat foam and material is stiffer and you sit higher, until your butt warms it up and you sink into place. Colder the weather the more pronounced it is.
You should try a snowmobile seat!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

setup a camera. Maybe your truck is messing with you.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by dcfluid
Every vehicle I have does this. When cold your seat foam and material is stiffer and you sit higher, until your butt warms it up and you sink into place. Colder the weather the more pronounced it is.
You should try a snowmobile seat!

I've never had this in any of my vehicles, not this amount. AND sometimes I get in and I am lower than I was before....
Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 PM

My GMC Sierra did that. Drove me nuts for a while until I got used to it and started automatically lowering it when got in.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM

If you take care to notice your rear view mirror alignment is off when you get in on a cold morning. Adjust and drive, readjust when your butt sinks into home. A way of life in northern Canada.

Trending Topics

Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 PM

I'm familiar with -10 to -20 degree weather in Minnesota. I still don't think this is that though....
Old 11-01-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry, I thought I was going crazy also.

I have been noticing the same thing ever since I bought my truck. The seat just feels like its in a different position every time I get in. Sometimes it feels higher, sometimes it feels lower. I cant explain it either. But now after 7k miles, I just readjust the mirrors when I get in or I just reposition myself on the seat.

I have said this before and so have a few others, the seats are not the most comfortable ones out their. Maybe its because I am 6'4 and do not really fit.

Let me know what kind of conclusion you come up with.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 PM

I think different seat foam materials react differently to conditions.
Anyone sleep on a memory foam pillow? Firm for a while until body heat warms it up and then gooey soft.

Quick Reply: Ghosts in my seat!