Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting scratches out of a tuxedo black

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default getting scratches out of a tuxedo black

got a little overzealous at the deer lease and i have a few scratches down the side of my truck from mesquite trees. they aren't deep but they are there. what is the best way to get them out? professional buff?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

same question but a dang dog scratched mine.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Porter Cable random orbital buffer I use on my GTO to remove scratches and swirl marks. Pretty expensive at around $160+ if I recall correctly, but that and swirl cutter/swirl remover does wonders and sure beats the hell outta elbow grease.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Asaberan
I have a Porter Cable random orbital buffer I use on my GTO to remove scratches and swirl marks. Pretty expensive at around $160+ if I recall correctly, but that and swirl cutter/swirl remover does wonders and sure beats the hell outta elbow grease.
what is a swirl cutter? last thing i want is to have those swirl scratches i see people driving around with
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Get a cheap variable speed buffer (70.00 on amazon)and the 3m hook and loop pad. It's blue and comes with the compound made just for black paint. It's a kit sold at just about any auto paint retailer. You'll need the backing plate for the buffer. It's 5/8 x 11 thread , typical grinder threads . This will last your for years.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What's a deer lease?

Nothing looks nicer than a clean and polished black vehicle. Problem is that it takes a lot of hard work to keep it that way. Once you start in with the buffer you're going to have swirls, and the only way to keep them away is with more work.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the Porter Cable DA (Dual Action) polisher mentioned ($109) - for beginners it is far more forgiving than a larger Rotary (only) polisher. Put another way, although it isn't that easy to do, it is far easier to burn through your paint or create new swirls when using a Rotary polisher than it is to do the same with a decent Dual Action machine.

Amazon Amazon

I have both types of machines; I let my sons use the PC DA machine; I use the bigger rotary only Makita except when working on smaller areas. Neither have touched the new truck yet.

There are many detailing shops on-line which sell the PC bundled with a selection of pads, compounds, polishes and waxes. For my own purposes I get buy well enough with just a few types of pads, a heavy cut compound, a light cut, a finishing polish and a wax or sealant.

Last edited by tandem; 09-07-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 AM
F150 Forum

Received 350 Likes on 285 Posts

If your nail gets snagged in the scratch when u run it over, the scratch will need to be wetsanded before it is buffed.. Usually u can wetsand with something as delicate as 1500-2000 grit just until u turn that whole scratch area foggy white, and then buff it right out. Harbor frieghts chicago electric buffer does the job just fine, and i believe i bought it for 30$. my opinion would be to but the buffer, dont be afraid to do a little sanding on your truck, and dont be that guy that has to run to a body shop for somethin that you can easily do yourself in 30 minutes
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by tko_818
If your nail gets snagged in the scratch when u run it over, the scratch will need to be wetsanded before it is buffed.. Usually u can wetsand with something as delicate as 1500-2000 grit just until u turn that whole scratch area foggy white, and then buff it right out. Harbor frieghts chicago electric buffer does the job just fine, and i believe i bought it for 30$. my opinion would be to but the buffer, dont be afraid to do a little sanding on your truck, and dont be that guy that has to run to a body shop for somethin that you can easily do yourself in 30 minutes
Love having an ally on here!! Too many people on this forum make up stuff like, "what ever you do, don't sand it!! The clear on these new trucks is so thin!" Which of course isn't true. All you need to do, is just not lean on the sandpaper and buffer in one area too long. And you'll be fine.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by pmpski_1
What's a deer lease?

seriously?

Quick Reply: getting scratches out of a tuxedo black